S Ray Ray Armstrong

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by islstl, Mar 25, 2008.

1. houtxbengal

houtxbengal Founding Member

Re: Ray Ray Armstrong

So for next season, you saying that we need another DB more than a LB?

Recruit DBs for 2010 when we need LBs now? (of course I'm not saying bring Armstrong in as a LB. Just responding to the "need for another Safety in 2009" over linebacker need.)

I may be missing the point. Help me out.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I always think of the depth chart 2 years ahead when considering who to recruit, since very few true freshman can step on the field and contribute.

I have already covered the lack of safeties going into 2010.

At LB, we have Baker/Minter taking care of the MLB spot. Sheppard will be a senior at one OLB spot, Riley will be gone. The other OLB could be Mingo or Prater or Theriot.

So that's at least 4 OLBs and 2 MLBs in the depth chart if we don't pick up another one. That's a 2 deep rotation.

So yes, if you forced me to take another safety vs a LB, I would certainly pick up a safety.

3. houtxbengal

Interesting point. Barring no injuries, 6 total LBs is enough to go into an SEC season. I respect your opinion.

In response, we don't have Mingo, yet, and I'm not sure about Theriot being that he is a converted FB out of high school, because of the thinness at LB this year, and hasn't seen any action.

It's been noted that we are thin at LB, now, but we should use a scholarship to convert a true offensive weapon to Saftey for 2010.

Check my math, but I count approx. 14 DBs that are currently Fr or So. without counting the DBs in the 2009 recruiting class nor that of 2010.

As for LBs, we have 7 LBs as Fr or So currently on the roster. This is not counting the LBs from this class or 2010.

So you're saying Mingo and Minter (to go with the 7 we currently have on roster that are not all proven on the field) are the only LBs we need to set us up for the future at that position?

Do we not have any other highly talented DBs that can be converted to Safety for 2010 (if the need arises)?

4. islstl

That's what I don't know is who out of the CBs can bulk up and be good at the safety position. Most of the guys we have are not that heavy. Thus, they are projected at CB.

You gotta be a hitter to play safety, so it's all about the mentality. You can't just tell a CB to play safety. He's got to want to do it. He's got to want to crush some bones.

We need another LB besides Mingo. We may even take TJones if his grades are good, and possibly even sign and place him so he can come in 2010.

5. houtxbengal

Again, I respect your opinion and I too believe in recruiting for the future, but not at the risk or ignoring the present.

Personally, I like the possibility of converting a CB to S than a WR to S. As a former DB, CBs that can no longer play the position at the same level usually move to S before they retire (speaking of the NFL). More than hitting, it has alot to do with ball-hawking skills and reading offensive formations and routes.

Agree to disagree. I prefer another LB than a WR conversion project because I think we can both agree that DBs are always more plentiful in recruiting classes than top-notched LBs.

6. houtxbengal

Hoping our LB position will improve if Chavis comes aboard as DC. I know it's been speculated that he is, but I don't want another Orgeron moment.

As for DB, I think that it's in LSU's DNA to produce quality DBs. Not sure who the next DB Coach will be though. That is interesting to me, but I haven't heard much about it.

7. razer

razer unregistered offender

Patrick Peterson disagrees. :yelwink2:

8. houtxbengal

Lol. Of course he would. There's only one #1. Interesting point, though.

How many times have we successfully recruited the #1 LB in the country? (We get the DBs, DLs, OLs, RBs, QBs, WRs, etc.)

9. islstl

If Dye follows Debose to LSU, what does Armstrong do?

I think he would stick with Miami, regardless.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

If I was Armstrong, I'd go to LSU, keep the Trio together, compete for national championships, and get tons of hype for being the same three guys that led their high school to the Florida state championship.