Saban calls the media poll "classless"

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MarineTiger, Sep 9, 2004.

1. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

Let's have a poll about Saban....like he said to....

2. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

OK, maybe I should rephrase: fans are certainly entitled to their opinion...but what makes them think that their opinion is any more informed than that of the coaching staff? That same staff that gets paid mondo bucks to evaluate and put the best talent available on the field?
    Their job is tough enough without the media and the fans breathing down their necks with a two-cents worth that, in the final analysis, doesn't amount
    to a hill of beans come game time, Saturday.

I have my opinion on who the starting QB should be. I also trust Nick Saban to do the right thing and start the QB who gives us the best chance at winning. Do I think he's absolutely infallible? No...but after our first NC in 45 years, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I for one have never said that my opinion's more informed than the coaching staff. My opinion on the quarterback situation is that JaMarcus should be getting the valiable starting experience now so we don't go into next season with an inexperienced QB two years in a row.

Does that mean that I'm going to think Saban is a moron if he starts Marcus Randall? Absolutely not. I'll be cheering for Randall to succeed if he's in there just as much as if Russell was in there. Just because people have their own opinion on matters doesn't mean that they think Saban doesn't know what he's doing.

4. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I see your point, but there is a difference.

No one will agrue that college football hasn't turned into a huge business. But keeping stats, rankings, and the score of the game is much different than what is being discussed here. Surely to play on the college level you need backbone, and the ability to let stuff like this roll off your back. It's Saban's job to stick up for his player, no matter how they perform or what the media/fans think of them. But no matter what these kids are not pros yet, and for the most part are playing for LSU out of love for the game and out of dedication to the school.

The point is that any college player is a regular person, who is out there trying to his best ability to represent his college (and by extentsion his fellow students and fans). Not sure how others would react, but had I been "famous" in college and had weekly polls judging my performance in the classroom or groups of fans outside my dorm room booing me for failing a test . . . it might have had an effect on my performance. Maybe kids who play college ball should be able to handle it or have thicker skin, I don't really know. Sports in college have changed, but I'd hate to see dragged to the "pro level" with performance being judged as if these kids are being paid to do this for a living.

Saban seems to be overreacting to the poll, but I can understand where he is coming from. This team has higher expectation than any Tiger team before it, they are expected to win the SEC and compete for the NC. Saban's job, among other things, is to keep this team together. So, I think that is where he is coming from. He doesn't want to see a 5th year Senior booed at home for trying his best, after several years of dedication to the very fans who are booing him. We are not out there for the 2 a days, in the training room, film sessions, or giving up our time to make the football team better . . . yet Randell is, and he is getting booed for his efforts by "fans".

Like I said maybe Randell should be able to handle it better . . . I don't know, but for some reason the poll and booing this guy just doesn't seem right to me. I trust Saban knows better than us how to construct a winning football team in real life, and the best way to keep his players focused.

5. studentsect

studentsect Founding Member

different situation

Saban said he got calls from JaMarcus and Marcus's parents about the poll. It is not at all like ranking one team better than another. These are BOTH our quarterbacks. Either way one of OUR QB's ends up losing, which lowers our team overall. The one winning in the poll has to look at the other one every day- the one losing in the poll has to look at the other guy every day and think "Only 15%(or however much) of people think I am as good as this guy". Nothing good whatsoever can come from a poll ranking 2 qb's on the same team, nobody's confidence can get boosted, it just all-around sucks.

6. timmyt

timmyt Founding Member

I dont know whats more ridiclous, the poll, or St. Nicks response to it. He says that now he's not gonna say anything to anybody about who is going to start, Waaahhh !!!!!!!!!!!! When the media ask him a question about his QB it is really US asking the question. If his Qbs are that sensitive then maybe he recuited the wrong ones. The fact is Randall stunck the joint up period. I think it does'nt say much for the "staff" that this guy has been over there for ''5 YRS" and looks like he' lost . That does not make him a "bad guy", im sure he's a fine american. Nick is watching to much TV and giving this way to much play, get over it Nick. If he wants to take his toys and go home, fine. JUST WIN BABY or GET FIRED.

7. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

My opinion is, while there's nothing wrong with people having an opinion regarding this issue, the problem is in the mindset for the players. I mean, just as previously mentioned it's got to be difficult for a player to come out on the field and see 91,000 fans out there and think to himself that "there are literally tens of thousands of people that don't want to see me out here..."... How would that make you feel? This type of poll shouldn't happen because of that type of effect it will have on whatever player is mentioned in the poll. It's a snoball effect, the QB starts to be inconfident, doesn't execute as well as he could otherwise, then the rest of the team suffers as a result. Once again, while it's not wrong to form an opinion, people should think of the implications both good and bad before voicing it.

^^^ Dude, people with that attitude are what will run a class act like Saban off... It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people are ready to turn their backs on someone, much less someone that has brought something to LSU that nobody has been able to do in over 4 decades... Truly tactless comment.

8. timmyt

timmyt Founding Member

Run him off!!!!!! the guy makes 2.5 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! for coaching football, he aint goin nowhere. I think St. Nick has does an unbelievable job, HE WON THE NC. Does that mean i gonna lay down and lick his boots, never!!!!!!!! If he is "that offended " by some stupid news fan poll then he needs to get a grip in my opinion. Stop creating more of a distraction then already was created is all I'm saying. I could care less who he starts at QB. If you ask me Flynn should have got a shot the other night. the only thing I judge Nick Saban is wins and losses period. If he dosent get some better QB play I wont have to run him off TAF will, lol. I am plaesed with Nick Saban as is everyone to this point, however I dont care to hear some lecture about his player's feelings being hurt because the majority of people think if has not got it in 5YRS he probably is not going to. GROW SOME SKIN NICK AND THE QBS PARENTS TO.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'll lick Nick's boots, thank you. Better than watching DiNardo or Hallman explain losses.

Before the season we wondered what it would take for fans to turn on Saban. Well, we found out. Not too much.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

lol, I'm with you SabanFan, I like JR from what i saw the other nite however,
    How stupid would everyone look including the media if MR had his bad game
    of the year behind him and looks like the Ro of old?

I'm not sayin its going to happen, but you never know.

I learned to trust Nick after last year!

btw, everyone knows the media changes with the wind, just like Kerry :lol: