Saban calls the media poll "classless"

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MarineTiger, Sep 9, 2004.

1. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

I think that the pollsters do not appreiciate what effect the poll has: it can potentially create a controversy and split the team. I can understand why Saban was so upset as I am sure he is trying to keep the team focussed on their development and improvement and not be distracted by some stupid meaningless polls. Most fans don't see what the coaches see.
    ________
    VAPIR DIGITAL AIR ONE

2. timmyt

timmyt Founding Member

3. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

In theory, Saban is right. But the reality is otherwise. He shouldn't get worked up over stuff like this. It is what it is. It goes with the territory of having a QB "controversy." Of course, he may not think there is a "controversy," and what he thinks is the only thing that matters. :lsup:

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

of course... I agree with Timmy here. All these people are saying no one should state their opinion because Saban is god, which he's close, and if they do it will run Saban off. That thinking is totally out of control... Most Americans question every single thing the President of the United States does but we can't do the same to a freaking college football coach?

Crawfish didnt even suggest to Nick that Russell start...he simply said he was somewhat happy with how he played. So, CNS used it as his soapbox to 1, let his 2 QBs and team know that he supports them both, fully. 2, it serves as a reminder to the media to scare them into not pressing the issue and all similar questions are to be avoided. Same way Fat Tuna and other NFL coaches manipulate the media and now some of the fans have been sheeped into that thinking as well.

He knows damn well it wont stop one talkshow or change one fan's opinion about how they feel. He simply does this as he plays psychiatrist through the media as he always does.

What good would it do to for him to say yeah Russell showed mad skills and its obvious he's way more talented than MR and will likely start sooner than later. He has no idea what these guys will do in the short term and needs both to be ready to go so. The reason he vowed to be mean and not answer about the QB situation was a ploy...he doesnt know himself so what better way to avoid that question as well. Blame the media/fans whatever. Blame Ms. Cleo, it doesnt matter hes simply keeping the pressure off his players. His choice and a smart one. He's not dumb by any means.

It doesnt mean he doesnt agree with your or my opinion on the situation. Nor does it mean he's gonna get up and leave if the fans keep acting like that. Fans are freaking fans and will always state their opinions. good god people....everyone sounds like a bunch of babies worrying about poor coach leaving. Nothing poor about him and he's earned every penny and its you and me who pay that fat salary....opinions are given, welcomed or not. Life in the big city....welcome to the last 20 years.

5. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

While you don't care to hear about some "lecture" on the player's feelings, he probably doesn't care to hear people bitching and moaning about the decisions that he and the staff makes. I'm not asking you to "lick his boots", but you're gonna sit here and voice your opinion while at the same time you complain that it's wrong for him to voice his?? Where's the balance in that? I think his bitch is more with the fact that the people haven't dealt with Randall day in and day out so for people to assume that J.R. (Or Matt Flynn, for that matter) is ready to take over as the starting QB is really an ignorant thought.

Also, even though the focus seems to be on Randall since that was where everyone wanted to point the finger the other night, it wasn't soley his fault. The O-Line was OWNED.. the running game was OWNED, the play-calling was somewhat less than desirable, the receivers dropped numerous passes, the defense even had problems.... all of these things added up to the slop we saw saturday.... Not the actions of Randall alone... One person does not a team make. I think Saban is just frustrated about everyone blaming Randall just because he is the easiest one to blame... Which is why he voiced his opinion as he did. If people should blame someone, they should blame the WHOLE DAMNED TEAM because that's what the point is... Execution AS A TEAM!! So what's wrong with that?

6. tirk

the QB is always the most scrutinized position on any level of football. Always will be. You will not be able to change that nor will Nick Saban. Its life in the world of football, accept it. As usual, the QB gets too much credit when they win and too much scrutiny when they lose and/or struggle. The QB is most important position for a reason....if all other 10 guys play great and MR or any other QB cannot complete even a simple screen pass then all is for naught.

The QB is the leader of the offense whether its by great ability or just great leadership. Mauck had the latter and when he stunk it up vs UF, LSU has ZERO chance to win. The defense had no spark due to no chance for offense even though they are the ones who put the only points on the board.

If CNS doesnt care to hear what 'idiot fan' has to say...hes in the wrong profession. He has forgotten more football in one day than collectively this entire forum has learned in a lifetime....thats part of why we second-guess, or dont understand the intricacies it takes to play Dr. Phil and handle 100 egos at a time, along with the parents, media, sponsors, new recruits, future recruits and everything else on a daily basis. Its a pressure cooker but something he's known long before he snorkled into this large fishbowl. Don't lose sleep over fans crying about a starting QB or why this or that or how the coach is feeling....its how it is and half the fun. always will be.

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Who wondered when the fans would turn on Nick? Which fans have turned on Nick? Point them out to me. Which ones? I want to know. Are WAFB & WWL "fans" now?

Please, SabanFan, point to a discussion in which it was said that we wondered what it would take for fans to turn on Saban? I know I never participated in one.

What a Chicken Little you are! You're creating some non-existent sentiment amongst the fan base that they are questioning Saban. I have said repeatedly I don't. Where has anyone said that they are questioning Saban? I'm very curious to see you back this up...What majority of fans out there are voicing their displeasure with Nick Saban and are questioning him now?

As usual...You're out of your box...

8. medtiger

medtiger Founding Member

Ask yourself this how in the world has a stupid poll in a small time media outlet made the national news? Answer: Nick Saban.

The question is did he do it on purpose? Saban has been on every single major network in the nation. He surely understands how his every remark will be publicized all over the nation. The Times Picayune article states in bold letters something along the lines of "Saban calls poll Heartless" How does this look to recruits' parents and recruits? It looks great, a coach who really "cares" about his players. Does Saban care if he upsets the local media, of course not because in my opinion he will be leaving the state of LA in just a few years anyway. Saban also does not want a QB controversy, as evidenced by his continual downplaying of the QB situation since last season. He tried to make a point to the media and the fans that he will make the decision so just support the team blindly. Will it work of course not, but I bet that Randall does not get booed by many fans if he starts. Now if he even missteps the booes will start. I do not really like how Saban used a phone call from a very dedicated fan, who did nothing wrong, to make his points. But Saban has been given total control from day one and has never pandered to the media or the fans and I don't see him starting now. Incidentally, there is nothing wrong with fans stating that they do not think that the coach handled a situation correctly.

9. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Let me clarify...I'm not trying to change anything. I know that this is how it's always been. But on the same token, no harm in having other people take time to look at the whole picture. If I'm able to see this surely other people can, right?

Yes he did, but also you must admit, Florida had LSU's number that day as far as the defense goes. He was able pick his way though the blitzes (while not completely, it was enough to win the game)...

I'm not suggesting that he doesn't care what we have to say, but surely he has the right to respond to it like he wants to just as we have the right to state our opinions.

As for myself, I have complete faith in whatever Saban and the boyz decide to do, I'm no coach and don't claim to think I can do any better. That's why he makes the big bucks. And while I won't lose any sleep about fans saying what they say, I will have my opinions as well. I agree with you, it's part of what makes the game exciting... I just like to play "Devil's advocate" at times...

:helmet: :champs: :helmet:

10. tirk

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Sorry if i go off on a tangent....Im no expert media-lemming nor a football afficianado (well maybe I think I am)....I just speak from the heart as do you and state my humble view on things. I can promise all the worry-warts here...there is no need to worry about little nicky.... we are simple pawns in his extravagant chess game, nothing more. Once you become obsolete, its time to move on. I dont mean that in such harsh terms...but coach does things which are best for his team and himself/family and nothing more...

and that is what makes him successful. That will never change til his new venue does. Til then, we should just enjoy the ride. I know I am.