Saban esccapes scare on Georgia Lake

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GxLSU1, Jul 18, 2003.

1. GxLSU1

GxLSU1 Founding Member

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- LSU football coach Nick Saban survived a scary plunge into a lake near his vacation home in Georgia roughly two weeks ago, he told a New Orleans radio station.

Saban told WWL radio he was knocked unconscious temporarily when he fell from his boat and hit his head against the dock. He said he woke up eight feet under water and paddled toward the surface, where one of the two friends he was with pulled him out.

Saban swallowed some water and suffered cuts in his ear and the back of his head that required 25 stitches, which have already been removed. He declined to comment further, according to LSU's sports information director Michael Bonnette.

Saban explained that he was carrying a wakeboard and standing on the ski deck of his boat, something he said he had done "a thousand times." He slipped and said the next thing he remembered was waking up on the bottom of the lake.

"I hit my head on the dock. I slipped and fell. I split my ear open. I knocked myself out." Saban said. He said he woke up underwater and said, "What am I doing here? I paddled my way to the top."
    :shock: :shock:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

On the Bama boards, they are pointing out that Bear Bryant would have just walked to the shore.

The 20th Century will never end in Tuscaloosa.

3. GxLSU1

GxLSU1 Founding Member

OMG hahahahaha thats so pathetic......At least god was on Sabans side that day

4. GxLSU1

GxLSU1 Founding Member

5. GxLSU1

GxLSU1 Founding Member

just tryin out somethin sorry

6. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Woah, that is pretty scary..

7. Hilarious!

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

It said in today's Advocate that he was unconscious underwater for 30-50 seconds. He should consider himself extremely lucky that he woke up when he did.

9. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

Sincerely glad he's alright. That's a very scary situation.

10. Auburn Tiger

Auburn Tiger Founding Member

Seems as if his friends would have responded by then. 30-50 seconds in this type of situation is a long time, and 8 feet of water isn't that great of an obstacle. He is extremely fortunate indeed.