Saban looks like he is having fun

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerStagg, Sep 28, 2003.

1. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

Did anyone see that clip of LSU leaving the tunnel in the second half? Saban was out in front, bouncing up and down, doing a little dance, hoo-bangin' (as Kenny Mixon used to call it). I've never seen him like that. And you could tell, he was having fun ripping into his players, keeping them in the game for 60 minutes with a 5 score lead. I think the guy's having a blast coaching a top ten caliber team and I think he loves the character of this team. He can have fun with them and he can rip into them. The best coaches are the ones who are hardasses and strive for perfection but can still have fun with the players when the time is right. Football players respect that. Saban is a drill sargeant/player's coach. Not an easy combo to achieve. You have to have a very special dynamic personality. And the man is a hands on x's and o's coach. He puts the media in their place but is endearing enough to get quality positive press. Of course all that depends on the wins rollin in. Would you take anyone else in the country? I sure's hell wouldn't. Nick's the freakin man.

2. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Which begs the question...

Why would he want to screw up his life by taking over a hapless NFL club?

3. kjntiger

kjntiger Founding Member

He won't. Let's not talk about that on here to. Let's leave that talk to the media so they can look dumb.

4. tigerbait28

tigerbait28 Founding Member

he wants a nc and i think he's staying until he gets one

5. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Tigerbait, that seems to be the general consensus around Louisiana.

6. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

He sure does look happy . . . and so am I, he has this team playing very well.

Saban has done an excellent job turning our program around for the better.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Saban is a demanding coach, not really a players coach. His style isn't always what an NFL team needs. Professionals don't react well to that kind of in-your-face coaching. It worked for Lombardi, but has failed for many modern coaches.

Woody Hayes would have been a terrible NFL coach.

8. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

I don't know how you can see he's not a player's coach. Look at some of the relationships he has with former players, namely Bradie and Ro. He had a special relationship with Dom and he obviously has a special relationship with Blue. Just because he is vocal and demonstrative doesn't mean the players don't love him. It's like training a puppy man, know when to be hard, know when to show the love. And because he knows so much about the game, when he yells he is teaching. He's not like some coaches might be. I can imagine Dinardo yelling "Hey #53, that was a stupid play!!! Now go find your position coach to teach you how to do it right b/c I sure's hell don't know!!!"

9. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

I sure would love to be able to read into the good players' minds how they feel about Coach Saban. I have a feeling they fear and yet respect him because of his knowledge, fairness and honesty. Sure hope that the players realize that at the end of the day, they have grown as better players. I don't believe that Saban is at this point interested in the pros, as the press always loved to speculate about. He is now king here, especially when his excellent recruiting efforts in the past few years is now starting to bear fruit. I agree with red55; his style is more successful with dealing with and controlling college players than the pros. He would be crazy if he jumps to the pros as the pressures are going to be very different.
    ________
    Universal health

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I'm no expert, but I agree with this.

From my limited expertise in these matters, this is what appears to be the case. I have heard, read and seen that today's pro players DO NOT respond to a "Drill Sergeant" type of coach.

I love that Nick Saban is a Drill Sergeant type of coach. Maybe it is because some of my fondest memories of my youth are memories of Drill Sergeants yelling in my face and giving me and my soldier comrades bloody hell.

I think kids respond to that kind of tough love. Professional football players do not, it seems.

I love and admire Vince Lombardi. I envy the men who got to play for him, even though it was like going through hell (probably). Having said that, I quite agree that Vince Lombardi would not succeed as a pro football head coach today, because the players would not respond to his coaching style.

Nick Saban reminds me of Vince Lombardi. This is truly how I see Nick Saban as a head coach, without opining on any aspect of his life other than that as a head coach. I know nothing about his personal life, and I don't mean to compare the two men on any level other than as head coaches.

I have learned that Coach Lombardi's personal life with his family had its troubles and problems. However, that can never diminish his greatness in the Pantheon of Football Gods.