Saban question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUfan, Oct 13, 2002.

1. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Great game last night, the Tigers really played well.

This is my first post on this board, so I have a lot to say. I don't care how much Florida is missing Spurrier, they are still Florida and we lined up and hit them in the mouth (over and over again). When it was 13-7, anything could've happened and the Tigers just played better (well coached) football. And to be able to do that against Flordia without Toefield, proves how well coached this team has become under Saban. We have a balanced team. No fancy passing without a running game or D. Saban has built a solid TEAM during his time at LSU, and it is a system I don't want to see leaving for the NFL.

When Saban came to town he said that he wanted to build a team that win or lose, would line up and punish the other team. He wanted the other SEC teams to fear having LSU on the schedule, because he was going to have them ready to at the least be able to physically match up and hit hard. His system works in the SEC, and he is one of the few coaches in recent years able to get the good La high school football players to go to LSU. Nothing was more frustrating than seeing Mich, ND, FLst, etc, having La players in their starting line up.

My question about Saban is this: What is the word on him staying coach at LSU? I understand we pay him well, with lots of incentives. I'm sure LSU will keep his salary competetive, and give him all the extras a good coach deserves. But are there are any rumors of him wanting to be in the NFL. I was very happy last year to read that he wanted to be at LSU, liked the atmosphere and the situation he and his family were in. I like Saban, and I want him to stay on at LSU. I didn't think this years team had the talent to play this well. I thought we would suffer at QB, and still have a poor pass D. I like how Saban uses Mauck, and that he isn't afraid to run him. Saban moves players who are talented into positions where they can better help the team.

Glad to find a board with LSU football talk.

2. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I have not here any stories about Saban leaving. I believe it is in his contract he will be ith highest paid coach in the nation if he wins the national champsion. That sounds like he has confidence in LSU and plans to stay.

3. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

thanks, I want him around for long time.

4. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Welcome LSUfan!

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I found this board through "Ellis Hugh" over at the NOH.com board (hornets board), you guys have a good board here.

6. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Thanks LSUfan. For those of you looking for the mentioned Hornets board, the full address is neworleanshornets.com and the forums are located at http://www.neworleanshornets.com/vBulletin/index.php

7. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Well you pose an interesting point. Until Saban leaves LSU us LSU fans will have to deal every off season with Saban's name on the top of every list.
    Everyone wants him. Look at last years off season. Every college team that has a crappy coach (Florida, Auburn, UCLA, Texas, etc etc) is going to say, lets go get Saban. We will keep him happy with the Money. But it is a fight LSU fans will sweat over every year.
    Now, having battled this last year I have some thoughts.

Saban has stated he wants to be at LSU for a long time. He is very well paid, AND his wife and family love Baton Rouge (Who Doesn't ;) )

He claims he wants to be like Spurrier, be here for a long time and build a dominating program. Saban will be offered coaching job after coaching job.

He has proven what kind of coach he is everywhere he goes. Saban has no ties to the South (Like the Bear) so I am sure one day he would like to go home (Like I want to go back to Louisiana) it is Human Nature.

It is an interesting thought, one I guess we dont need to worry ourselves with, but since you opened the Pandora's box. I guess I will throw my two cents in.

I hope he stays here for 10-12 years or longer. Do I think he will ? Honestly no. LSU fans can be a touch act to entertain. Lets face it after the Ole Miss game we almost ran him off with they way Tiger Fans and Media Reacted. He was very upset. Thats just us I guess, but when you are the Caliber of Saban those dogs dont hunt, he is very very very protective of his players, and when they read things and hear things like what we did after Ole Miss he was very bitter about that. We are no longer that way, he has shown us the light. (Myself included)

I think Saban one day since he will be a number one prospect for almost every coaching job available will be offered the dream job with millions on the table.

But maybe he is true to his word and does stick with us for a long time. I hope he does, he is the best thing to happen to LSU since Charlie Mac.
    He has put LSU on the Map. He has made us Proud and he will make us a contender every single year.

The question is will LSU fans stick with him through the bad and not run him off (Because at some point we will have some bad, every team does) I think we will. I know I will never question him again. Because he knows when he makes a mistake. He does not need some jackass in Section 5 reminding him. ;)

Just my humble opinion.

Geaux Tigers.

8. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

Please let's not start any bs about Saban leaving

I know it was just a question, but that's how rumors start.

Saban is happy at LSU. He'll be there for a long time. Don't want to speculate how long - but i have a feeling he'll stay at LSU a long time just to prove those idiots who have called him a "whore" wrong.

Saban will be with us for a while and he'll make LSU a dominant force in college football. We will eventually lose the guy, we all know that - but he will stay at LSU until he accomplishes his goals.

9. AUMorgan21

AUMorgan21 Founding Member

random thought

This is just my random thought for the afternoon. But since you guys were talking about the rumors of Saban eventually leaving. What would you guys do if he came to Auburn? I only thought of it since Auburn was mentioned in the crappy coach category, I like CTT (dont hate me because of it) and I hope he stays around for a while as long as he pulls it back together after this past weekend. But that wasnt the reason for my post. I just wondered how you guys would react if he left one day and went to a school that you obviously hate, like Auburn? This really was just a random thought on my part and I was curious so I thought Id ask. :)

WAR EAGLE!!

10. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I would find an oven, set it to 500.. Then jam my head into it until I see the little light.... Not because he went to Auburn, because he left LSU for our Rival.

Geaux Tigers