Saban talks about Sue Gunter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerskin, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

Saban mourns death of former LSU coach

Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. - Calling his former colleague "a real professional," Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban expressed sadness Friday over the loss of longtime friend Sue Gunter.

Saban and Gunter, the former LSU women's basketball coach, shared a close relationship during the years together at the school. Gunter, a Hall of Fame coach and pioneer in women's college basketball, died Thursday in Baton Rouge, La., at age 66.

"She had me speak to her team a couple times," Saban said after his team finished practice Friday. "She came to practice. She was very supportive. We always sat together at the SEC meetings. Don't ask me why, but we were just buddies. It's really sad. She was a great person, but also an outstanding coach."

Gunter coached for 40 years, 22 at LSU, and finished with 708 career victories. She was voted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in March and will be inducted posthumously on Sept. 9 in Springfield, Mass.

A longtime smoker, Gunter suffered a severe emphysema attack on her way to a game in January 2004, and she eventually retired.

"Anybody that could say a prayer for her, certainly it would be appreciated by me," Saban said. "I think we're all going to lose someone that was a real class person and a real professional in the coaching world."

Saban went 48-16 in five seasons as LSU's football coach, and won the 2003 BCS national championship. He's entering his first season with the Dolphins.

2. clair

clair Rockets

Very nice of Saban...

In the world of NFL, I know it is easy to get caught up in 20 hrs a day of watching film, but good to see Coach remembering his roots...

I wouldn't be surprised if when the Dolphins come to N.O, if ole Nick comes to our game... if it is home that week

3. clair

clair Rockets

I do know from players words, that Nick left Coach Miles with literally 3-4 pages of hand-written notes on every single player, and that they e-mail each other often to see how each's teams are doing...

So... that is always good to know

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Nice touch by Nick. Just goes to prove, once a Tiger, always a Tiger.

5. Tigerskin

6. clair

clair Rockets

doing what?!

The gameplan is typically laid out to players on the Friday before they leave, so they can soak it in/study it that night

7. Tigerskin

Tell me you aren't serious. He will be going over every little detail and watching as much film as possible to prepare as much as possible. Going over any and all possibilities. Just because there is a "deadline" to lay out a gameplan to the players, that doesn't mean the work is done. The work doesn't stop when you want to be the best.

8. clair

clair Rockets

Sorry Coach...

lol... My bad...

BTW... brings a good question... Will he be boo'ed or cheered in the dome?

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Why is it that USC has won 2 "National Championships" in a row and LSU is always referred to as the "BCS National Champion"?

10. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Yes she was, this is clair we're talking about. She has no clue......

Saban will be drawing up different defensive formations on the hotel phonebook sat night......