Saban to Jaguars

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Aggie Fran, Dec 29, 2002.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I will say that this one concerns me the most. Whoever takes over will have as much authority as they want. Florida is a nice place to retire.
    I hope he stays, but if not I want to pay the bucks to bring in a big name and not go cheap like we did with Hallman and Dinardo.
    I also hope that we do not lose anyone over this in recruiting. I have heard Saban's arguement but uncertainty loses out a lot of the time.

2. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

If Saban leaves in a year or two, I'm sure Franchione will be interested.

3. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I sure would hope WE aren't interested in HIM!

4. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Saban will stay IMO. But coaches come & coaches go. In this business the fans and the sports writers for the most part are the last to know what truly is going to happen. Saban was guoted the the Shreveport Times as "being happy where he is".

5. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I actually take Sanan at his word. He is honest enough to not say that he is NEVER leaving LSU.

Nick Saban is no Dennis Francione.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Saban's name will come up regarding every major college or NFL opening from now until he actually leaves, whether next week or in ten years. Tiger fans are used to this annual rumor.

I think Saban will stick for 3 or 4 more years until his kids are out of school and he's had a shot at a national championship. Then he will go to the NFL for $3 to $5 million to finish his career. I think he'd like to leave a Spurrier-like record behind him before he goes.

7. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

Not since Coach Arnsbarger left LSU has LSU had a coach that was mention or rumored to have a chance at another coaching position; NFL or college. I think we should just relish the fact that we have one of, if not the best coach in College football and probably in the NFL as well. Saban will leave when he is ready to leave and we as fans should be extremely happy that we have him here at LSU for however long he wants to stay. I can't think of any other coach I would rather have here than Coach Nick Saban. He will take the Tigers to the promise land. We need to give him time. In the 2004 season all of the players on the team will be his recruits. That's when I expect to see the Tigers go all the way.
    Geaux Tigers, Kick their Ass, and beat the hell out of the Longhorns.

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Foolish to leave LSU.

I don't mean to sound like a homer for LSU, but Coach Saban would be foolish to leave LSU for any other head coaching job. Why leave a sure thing for the depths of the unknown? Money? How much money does one need? I'm sure that LSU can pay him enough for he and his family to be comfy forever.

Why coach in the NFL? There's absolutely zero job security there. Any head coach job you take will be a program in shambles, so you'll be building it from the ground up.

My point is: LSU is a place where a coach can settle in like a Bobby Bowden or a Joe Paterno.

9. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I agree, Jean. He can have a long and prosperous career at LSU. He's popular and he has the look of a winner. He's been a great fit at LSU so far.

10. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Re: Foolish to leave LSU.

Jean, I love the thought, but you sound like a bama fan.

Saban is a good coach and it is nice to have him on our side. We as LSU fans should know that coaches come and coaches go. If Saban stays along time that would be good. If he leaves I am sure there is there is another coach out there somewhere that can handle the job.

I do hope Saban stays along time. It would be great to have coaching stability at LSU.