Saban to the Cowboys?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxtigs, Nov 18, 2010.

1. kluke

kluke Founding Member

[QUOTE=TUSKtimes;1155713]His dynamic personality is a lightning rod for the masses. Alabama is the most dominant "flagship" team in the SEC. When two irresistible entities come together, there is always going to be this incredible combustion in among the emotional stability of our SEC brethren. Auburn, would be the latest exhibit A. Born of fear and panic over their lot in life, we are witnessing something worthy of a Hollywood epic. In coach Saban's second Bama campaign, coaches were falling like the monsoon in a rain forest. Tommy Bowden, Croom got Croomed, Tubby was sent into exile, even Fulmer didn't have enough seniority to withstand the tide of discontent that followed his two epic beat downs.

But it isn't just fired coaches. We're talking confusion and anger over the coaches still practicing their trade. Richt and the now legendary "Blackout" could be argued is still a work in progress. Meyers and his feet of clay and don't get me started about the discontent that seems to be reflected on so many threads on Saban in the land of purple.

To that end coach Saban, I submit has become THE rock star. That's all I meant.[/QUOTE]

AND from an earlier TUSK post - "Plus you have to keep in mind that The University of Alabama is absolutely the best football job in America. Successful coaches are beloved. Talent is supreme and the dynamics are such that come game time he and Bama literally morph into, yes I'll say it again, "The Rolling Ston

es."

WOW!! Let me start by saying Tusk is one of my favorite alien (meaning not LSU human) posters. Enjoy and respect his points of view. So I have to assume some of this is tongue in cheek humor spiced with the sting of 24-21.

Lets start with "The Absolutely Best Football Job in America" which you said is because (1)talent is supreme (2) and 'Successful Coaches are Beloved' - well loving successful football coaches is really unique in the SEC, I can only think of 10 other scools like that. In Kentucky you have to be a successful basketball coach to be beloved. Are far as 'Talent is supreme' -yes there is good talent there but better than Texas, better than Cali, better than Florida, or better than say if you had a national recruiting base like the Domers.

I would say that while Alabama is clearly one of the premier CFB jobs in america it's definately not #1, or 2, or 3 (The Lepercons, Hornies, and Condoms). After that there is a second tier of 5 to 10 schools that Bama is certainly one of. I mean Bama doesn't even have thier own network like ND.

Look at it this way, If all the top 20 coaching jobs were open at the same time and Saban, or Urbane or whoever were looking for a job who do you think they would choose first? It wouldn't be Bama or Florida. At night before they go to sleep they both think "Man if I had my own major network".

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Might just pay money to see the meltdown of the Gumps.

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Thanks, Tusk, for the laugh. Made my morning. :lol:

Do you say "gothcha" yet or do we wait for more replies?

4. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

i live in dallas too and also believe in this post 100%. someone else also brought up that Auburn may be facing serious consequences and Saban may have total domination of gumpland. that must make him lick his chops.

5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

WOW!! Let me start by saying Tusk is one of my favorite alien (meaning not LSU human) posters. Enjoy and respect his points of view. So I have to assume some of this is tongue in cheek humor spiced with the sting of 24-21.

Lets start with "The Absolutely Best Football Job in America" which you said is because (1)talent is supreme (2) and 'Successful Coaches are Beloved' - well loving successful football coaches is really unique in the SEC, I can only think of 10 other scools like that. In Kentucky you have to be a successful basketball coach to be beloved. Are far as 'Talent is supreme' -yes there is good talent there but better than Texas, better than Cali, better than Florida, or better than say if you had a national recruiting base like the Domers.

I would say that while Alabama is clearly one of the premier CFB jobs in america it's definately not #1, or 2, or 3 (The Lepercons, Hornies, and Condoms). After that there is a second tier of 5 to 10 schools that Bama is certainly one of. I mean Bama doesn't even have thier own network like ND.

Look at it this way, If all the top 20 coaching jobs were open at the same time and Saban, or Urbane or whoever were looking for a job who do you think they would choose first? It wouldn't be Bama or Florida. At night before they go to sleep they both think "Man if I had my own major network".[/QUOTE]

I too enjoy your point of view and "Alien" could be considered kind for all the terms floating through Purple cyberspace.

Just a couple of points. "The best football job in America" has tradition, talent, mass appeal, championships, longevity, they all go into the mystique of the teams.

Your top three adversaries are indeed well known and have history and tradition. Texas got no championships. Oklahoma would have been a better choice. From Bob Stoops to Barry Switzer to Bud Wilkerson, they have been the monsters of that region. After 1969 and the one point squeaker against Arky you could literally fast forward to the Rose bowl against USC.

USC has many virtues but the left coast thing with the laid back attitude and 3 hour time zone thing makes me feel it's not life and death and that's the category we are in. But historically a great program.

And then there was Notre Dame. Championships, Network and Tradition. Only worthy opponent. Frankly, these days we all have are own network and ratings would indicate that an Alabama vs LSU or Florida will send Mr. Nielsen through the roof. Just too much exposure and money for everyone to make ND deal the envy of the football world. Tradition is nice, but it's been a long while since they've decided much. Was Brian Kelly their first choice? Urban told them no, long ago and went on his merry way to Gainesville. So have many others. Notre Dame will be relevant again, when they start dominating on the field, but I don't think they will ever dominate the press again. Still, it's a good pick.

So all in all, where's an ambitious, competitive coach to go? How about where 90,000 show up for a glorified practice. Where tradition takes a museum to cover. Where conference titles is just something you collect on your way to the big one. Coach Saban has found such a place. Did you see the smile on Coach Curry's face when he took his GS football team into the Bryant museum this past week and they saw Curry's little section of Bama history? Make no mistake, Coach Saban ain't interested in his little section. That man wants his own wing.

6. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

TT, that second half sure was good this year in Baton Rouge huh? :)

7. msully

msully Founding Member

THE BIG MO

WE WILL NEVER KNOW . TRUE . BUT THAT WAS A GAME CHANGING CALL, IT WAS A PAID FOR CALL, I THINK. THEY GOPT WHAT THEY WANTED BAMA AND THE GATORS .IN THE SECCG.
    I THINK WITH THE BIG MO LSU COULD HAVE HAD A REAL GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING THAT TD .AFTER ALL SABAN IS SABAN.THIS YEAR HE IS GOING TO LOSE 3 GAMES , I HAVE SAID TWO ALL YEAR WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF 3. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I SHOULD BE AS A LSU FAN PULLING FOR BAMA , CAN'T DO IT !!
    WE HAVE TO BEAT ARK AND I AM MORE WORRIED ABOUT THEM WYLD HAWGS THAN I WAS ABOUT AUBURN .