Saban Would Stay at LSU if he had a Do Over

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Jul 18, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Concur

LSUDad likes this.
  2. LSUBraveheart

LSUBraveheart Veteran Member

Then your opinion is different than mine and different than ALL my other L.S.U. Alum friends whom I keep company with. We don't really care for being relegated to second or third in the S.E.C. West. We'll take the Championships with the fucking shitbag!

WE do like Cam "Camerban" Cameron a lot though. Les has put together a very good staff at L.S.U. with the exception of the current Defensive Secondary coach. (Who is in way over his head X + O wise and is strictly on the staff for his recruiting ability) Would rather see Peveto coaching the DB's and Raymond with ST's. They'd be better prepared with BDP coaching them on coverages, assignments and in-game adjustments. If the secondary is a confused Chinese Fire Drill again this season, then LM will have to bite the bullet and do what needs to be done.

3. LaSalleAve

Different strokes. The way I see it, Les will get us a couple more championships, before he retires and will be the greatest coach LSU ever had. Still won't be enough for some people.

gyver, didit, cajdav1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Saban is a fantastic coach and recruiter, but the thing that bothers me about him - both now and when he was at LSU - is that he doesn't seem to enjoy any of it. I know football, especially in the SEC, is serious business. But isn't it supposed to be fun?

When I see coaches scowl the entire game and throw red-faced tantrums every time something goes wrong, I'm slightly embarrassed for them as men. I think the success of coaches like Pete Carroll, Les Miles, Phil Jackson, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Bowden.... prove that you don't need to be a tyrannical, joyless, maximum-intensity hardass at all times to be an effective leader.

When I see guys like Bob Knight, Saban, Belichick, Jim Harbaugh ranting like children - I'm reminded of Roy Turner from "Bad News Bears."

I'm a huge LSU fan. I want them to win every game. But I also want us to look over at Alabama -- with their ridiculous Bear Bryant tattoos, the idiotic practice of erecting statues of football coaches on a college campus, the way their self-esteem is tied to the performance of a football team -- and say, "not if it means being like them."

We all know a guy or girl who will cancel plans and mope all weekend if their team loses. I hope we all look at that person and say, "Jeez, it's just a game." I like a slogan I first saw on a LSU t-shirt many years ago, and still see to this day. Simple, but beautiful:

WIN OR LOSE, WE STILL BOOZE

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My thoughts exactly. There were times when Saban was our coach that I would cringe at the way he comported himself during interviews, and in my opinion, he's just become more and more of a dick in the years since he left.

Miles is pure entertainment and isn't half of the moron that many of our hyper-critical fans think that he is.

And as others have said, Alabama's cache and schedule are the big reason for the number of championships he's had there. He wouldn't have had that here.

And, let me ask you this: how do you guys think Saban would've handled the tragedy and stress of Katrina? I believe he would've melted down in a major way at the "disruption" to his schedule. My dad was talking with a former Saban staff member who was with him on 9/11. The staff member's son was in Manhattan that day, and Saban was pissed he left a meeting to try to contact his son. What a douche...

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I asked a saban lover one time, "Name three things that makes nick happy for more than 24 hours?" Tough question. Not much.

The bad part, the guy will never be happy.

Yes, he was in line to take the UT job, this is coming from someone I know well. Mack Brown, by dragging his feet kept it from coming true. nick wanted it done fast, not much fan fair. When everyone was catching wind of what was going on, nick backed out.

7. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Nick Saban masturbates in the shower to the thought of Les Miles and LSU beating bama.

Contained Chaos likes this.
  8. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

When you say championships, do you mean, including SEC or are you thinking more than one national championship?

9. LaSalleAve

I think Les gets us 2 of those stupid looking playoff trophies before he retires.

Contained Chaos and VampMuse like this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Glad this is becoming more "public" one of the local radio guys was talking about this a couple weeks ago and outed his source at UT that confirmed it. Needless to say the "source" was furious and things got quite heated.