Saban Would Stay at LSU if he had a Do Over

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Jul 18, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

4 straight years finishing as the #1 team in recruiting? To be 0-2 in his last two games. At SEC Media Days, he said that last year, they were rebuilding? Were they rebuilding when they went 11-0 or just when they went 0-2?

Speaking of hosed, too many to name.

Contained Chaos and didit like this.
  2. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Who stepped out of bounds? If you're talking about Davis on the FG return you are so, so wrong.

Richdog and bayareatiger like this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

No one stepped out of bounds, maybe had the game been in Tuscaloosa they would have called it, but that was clean.

The greatest single play in college football history happened against the most pathetic fanbase and egotistical coach in the game. Kinda makes one think Karma exists.

gyver, b_leblanc and bayareatiger like this.
  4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I have no idea if Saban would have been more successful or less if he would have stayed at LSU. I am not sure how he would have handled Katrina, but I do believe the constant off season flirtation with the NFL would have driven many of is crazy and diluted his recruiting.

So IMO we've been much better off although we can never know for sure.

And I'll add one more thing, I watched the LSU/TENN 2000 game on ESPN Classic yesterday and Saban inherited some incredible talent. Faulk, James, Green, Green, Booker , Lavalais, Davis, Toefield, Reed, Myles, Ro, Booty, Banks, etc. we were pretty loaded.

MLUTiger, TigerTap, StaceyO and 2 others like this.
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah those in the know have always pointed out out that Gerry D knew that putting a fence around this state was something he did well and left LSU loaded with talent. He just didn't surround himself with the coaching talent to get the best out of the players. That's how you know Miles is a hell of a coach. He had his fair share of shit coordinators and has still done a marvelous job. Now we have talent coaching talent. If this crew stays together, man...

6. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

The only one that really matters is the national championship, especially when you talk sec. they're NORMALLY one in the same.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Unless you're Alabama, and then you get a do-over after losing fair and square in your own backyard.

The ironic thing is this: the only thing that could've prevented Alabama from getting the re-match in '11 was us losing to UGA in the SECCG. If that had happened, we still would've gone to the NCG because of how high our BCS score was, but a loss would've lowered Bama's score, putting Oklahoma State in the game against us. And we'd have beaten them.

After the '11 "game of the century" in Tuscaloosa, I knew the only team that could possibly beat us was Bama.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Sure, outside of the two games they lost, and the three teams that were better than them.
    Even if this were true (it isn't), it's been a long time coming for that program. I almost wish that it were true.
    Then that's on the coach for not motivating his players properly.
    Nope. FSU throttles them. Winston is probably the best QB I've ever seen at this level. Say what you will about his intelligence or character, but that dude is a freak.

TigerTap, LaSalleAve and LSUDad like this.
  9. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Yep. Makes me fucking sick just thinking about it. I can only hope & pray that we get them in a playoff.

A lot of people also forget that OSU's only loss came the week of the plane crash in which the women's basketball coach (I think) was killed. They beat the shit out of everyone else, so I think it's only fair to attribute the loss to ISU to that tragedy that was no doubt a huge distraction to the players. Anyway, enough about that.

didit and LSUDad like this.
  10. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

It's hard to say Saban would have done much better than Miles' 95 wins, 24 losses in 9 seasons. But it's also crazy to ignore the incredible run Saban has had so far at Alabama. If my memory is correct, they've been ranked #1 at some point in every season since 2008.

I think Saban is the best College Head coach in the country (Urban Meyer #2). He's a great recruiter, and you can always count on 3 things with his teams: #1 they're going to be physical, #2 they're going to play excellent defense, and #3 he's going to have a top-notch offensive line.

CLM's LSU teams have been cut from the same mold. But Bama has been a little better than us on the offensive line, at QB, and they took the Championship from us in 2011.

Had LSU won that game, I believe Les and our program would be looked at in a totally different light.

By my count, Les is 3-5 against Saban. Les has won 1 title at LSU. Saban has won 3 at Bama.

If we had won that game, Les would be 4-4 vs Saban with 2 titles at LSU. Saban with 2 titles at Bama. LSU and Bama would be considered equal.