SabanFan's Bill of Rights

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Jul 9, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

That's an ignorant statement from a learned man...

Martin...What did America do "out of convenience" to the minority of the English leaders that ruled them?

Martin...What did Americans-through their duly appointed legislative, executive, and judicial representatives and volunteer military force-force out of convenience onto the will of Native Americans?

Martin...What did Americans-through their duly appointed legislative, executive, and judicial representatives and volunteer military force-force out of convenience on Mexico?

I mean...The fabric of this country's quilt is dyed with the color of the blood we've shed of the minorities who've stood in our majority's-through our duly appointed legislative, executive, and judicial representatives, and our volunteer military force-path when it came to our convenience...

Are you REALLY going to stand by that statement, or reprhase it in some manner?

Please don't wiggle, either, because I could talk about the WWII era Japanese American internments, the forced relocation of hundreds of thousands of Native Americans who were actually already American Citizens, as well...

We have CONTINUALLY looked out for the majority's best interest or convenience-also known as "the greater good"-in the face of the inconvenience of the minority of this country...

Would you like to reprhase that statement?

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

are you asking me if we, the english speaking majority, should force the minority, to speak english?

how exactly should we force them? and why?

your examples are like telling me that since the majority forces the minority population of murderers to go to jail, then the majority has the right to force people to speak the language of the majority's choice.

it doesnt violate my rights when people dont speak english, see the difference brainiac? i have no interest in forcing people to do anything, as long as they arent oppressing my freedoms in some way. i dont want to use the tyrannical power of the majority to crush anyone who doesnt talk like me. i dont give a damn how they talk. ¿comprende?

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

if you want to live in a country where the government enforces an official language out of insecurity about their culture, move to france.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Not in the context of BengalB's example. He has already chosen MCI. Should a consumer investigate the english speaking capabilities of service provider's support staff before deciding to purchase those services? I don't think that's realistic. Should he now abandon MCI (assuming he's not contractually obligated) and search out another provider in the hopes that their support people have a grasp of the english language? Of course not. As consumers in an english speaking country, I think we have a right to expect english speaking service.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dont see the difference between not being able to speak english and any other sort of inferior services. companies should provide their customers with services that make them happy, or the customer should shop somewhere else. bengal b should definitely quit mci, and find another service, and if he is in a contract, and he has a problem, it sounds like he has a great case that they were not providing the services promised in the contract, so i suppose he could take that to small claims court.

if this was a terrible problem, you guys could all ask each other which provider has an english speaking staff and use them. and then i am sure the forces of capitalism would solve your problems. however, because american labor is more expensive, you might end up paying a bit more for a different company.

yes, obviously, if that sort of thing is a big problem for you.

i dunno what other solution there is besides calling in the government with rules and regulations and red tape and problems and general inefficiency. maybe you should vote democrat if that is what you want.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I chose MCI because of their plan that gives me unlimited local and long distance calls for $49.95 a month. (actually works out to about $71 a month with taxes and fees.) Its a residential line but most of my long distance calls are for business. Before I switched to MCI I was spending between $300 and $400 a month.

No I don't have a contract but I don't have the time to spend taking them to court. BellSouth may now have a similar calling plan but my years of experience with BellSouth are no better and I feel pretty sure that they outsource their customer service just like almost everybody else.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

if you dont have a contract it sounds like you should return to your previous service if they spoke better english. maybe mci is cheaper partially because they are not paying the big bucks for american customer service. they probably save tons of money by hiring those damn foreigners.

i guess it depends on how much it is worth to you to have english speaking people to talk to.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Salt!

9. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

It would be one thing if they came to the country, spoke their own language in their own town and never tried to assimilate elsewhere. Maybe.

But you have some people who are now wanting dual road signs placed on highways, one English and one Spanish. Same with goods purchased in stores or anytime you dial a phone number and have to press 1 for english or 2 se habla espaniol. Or this is the good one...have classes taught in Spanish right here in the good ole USA. Not a Spanish class mind you, but have every single subject taught in Spanish so that Spanish speaking kids are not discriminated against. That is where this is all leading, and that is a big pile of horse****.

If I go to Japan, I do not expect people to cater to my English speaking needs. I would feel the responsibility to learn how to speak Japanese. But, maybe that is just me :dis:

10. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Bingo!! And it's a good thing you would not expect it; cause you ain't gonna get it.

No such thing as a hyphenated American.