Saban's Post Game Comments

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU4Life, Oct 11, 2003.

1. LSU4Life

LSU4Life Founding Member

From the article: http://www.lsusports.net/article.cfm?ref=00066C09-7311-1F88-93F180D1FBA4FB8F

Very poignant.

LSU HEAD COACH NICK SABAN

"We knew we were playing a very dangerous team, like playing a caged animal in terms of what was on the line for their season so you have to give them a lot of credit for the intensity they played with and the way they played. We are obviously very disappointed in the way we played in the game. Obviously, I'm responsible for that. We didn't have the type of intensity that we needed, didn't have the sense of urgency about what we were doing. We didn't play very smart in the game. We had 13 penalties and I swear we had more than that. It was very disappointing. I was a little concerned about how we would come back after the bye week. We didn't seem to have the intensity in practice that we've always had and we kind of carried it over in the game today.

"It's too bad that something bad has to happen for people to be willing to learn and actually change of what they are thinking and how they are thinking in terms of how they need to go about things. I feel like in this league like I've said time and time again. I tried to say it on Monday, I tried to say it on Saturday, and I tried to say it every day of the week. This is a good football team we are playing. They've got a lot of good football players and if we don't bring our A game we are going to struggle in the game. That's the way this league is and when you have a team that has a lot of pride, they don't have a lot of quit in them and you'd better be ready to play. We looked ready to play early in the game. Some critical things, It's a funny game. Maybe if we intercept the ball that we drop and run it back it might be a different game because their confidence is a little shaken. But we didn't make the play and they went in and scored.

"Defensively we gave up some big plays, but we didn't play that bad. We got caught in a couple of pressures. They scored on two big plays. We didn't move the ball with any kind of consistency on offense. We didn't run it very effectively, we didn't run it with any kind of consistency. We've got a lot of improving to do. Our only score was on special teams. We've got to do a better job as coaches. The players will respond in the right way to this and too bad you've got to have something bad happen to get you moving in the right direction but hopefully our wiliness to learn and responsibility that everyone needs to take to become a good football team will be how we respond to this.

I love what a stand-up guy Saban is - not shifting blame anywhere.

2. danky

danky Founding Member

Then you'll love politicians...

3. terry cox

terry cox Founding Member

Saban is no politician. He is a leader. Is there any coach you would rather have leading this team at this point in the season?

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Good Post Game comments.

I don't like what happened today one bit. I blame the coaches and the players.

That said, I like Coach Saban's post-game comments. He made all of the right points. If the team and the coaches can re-focus and re-acquire some intensity, maybe we have a chance to win the SEC West.

Yes, I said "SEC West." After today, I think that we all have to face reality: right now, we are not the best team in the SEC West. Only the players and coaches to change that.

:geaux:

:lsug:

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Stand up guy? Your kidding right? Saban is a slickster and he has you douped. He says what needs to be said at the right time, not because he is some stand up guy. He will gradually lay some land mines over the coming days blaming players for mistakes.

Just go back to his call-in show a couple weeks ago for a prime example of his schtick. He was belittling Addai for fumbling and causing another players injury because of his fumbles. He went on to say they were trying to teach him some stuff but he wasnt learning. I sure hope Addai didnt hear that show cause if it was me, I would have left the team on the spot. No folks, Saban is not stand up guy at all. I've never been sold on him in the least. He is just like Zook, recruits great but coaching average. He is in this for himself and will be running out the door if the right opportunity comes up

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So who would you suggest replacing Saban with? Curley Hallman? Saban put the blame on himself following the game and rightly so since it is his job to have the team prepared for any situation but don't you think that the real blame belongs on the shoulders of a bunch of 18-22 year old players who took Florida too lightly despite Saban's repeated insistance on staying focused on one game at a time? You would quit on the spot if your boss jumped on you for something. Does that mean that you are now flipping burgers at McDonalds because a Burger King customer bitched about you putting extra onions on his Whopper when he ordered Hold the Onions?

7. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I dont suggest replacing Saban but recognize what we have here and live with it. This "stand up guy" stuff is nausiating because he simply isnt one. He is a self centered egotistical jerk.

And no you dont quit your job because the boss got on you but the boss isnt supposed to do it in public. If he has critisism of Addai then he should be handling it privately and not airing out the dirty laundry on his call in show. Thats a classless move and its all too common with Saban.

Yes he has brought us a long way and he can coach but, I am not going to hold him in high regard when his personality leaves much to be desired. Least we forget last year when he spent a recruiting weekend being wined and dined by an NFL owner and believe me, if he would have been offered he would have taken it.

8. grote1947

grote1947 Founding Member

. We didn't play very smart in the game. game. ...

Personally I believe we had a LEAK in our defense. The next game will determine if this is a new era of Tiger football, or are we the same ole guys that can't stand prosperity.:geaux:

9. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

How do you KNOW??????

10. grote1947

grote1947 Founding Member

replacement for Saban

:lsug: If we are going to speculate I would like to see LSU's first chancelor William Tecumseh Sherman for a head coach. That's no nonsense footbal if he coaches. If I can't have him I'll stick with Saban