Saban's QB Rotation?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by flabengal, Jul 23, 2004.

1. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

This is not a QB skills thread, I don't care who the best one is.....assuming Randall starts (every indication that he will) against OSU and performs reasonably well does anyone think Saban will change his ways and get one of the younger guys in the game or does he stick with the starter all the way through, ala Mauck? It seems like Saban has that pro mentality about the QB but I just can't believe that he's going to leave both Flynn and Russell on the bench forever. Or does he think as long as the team performs well it's not worth the controversy? Also, does anyone think that aspect of the QB playing time may effect players like Ryan Perilloux and his decisions? I was suprised to see the Texas rumour, etc.

I'd love to see the other guys get in there, personally. They must be dying to get on the field by now.......fire away, and please don't tell me how much better Randall is then Mauck, etc. We've all been down that road before!

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I believe that Saban will play the other guys based on how well the start is doing and also based on the game they are playing. If is a tight game and the starter is doing well, he doesn't play the others, if we are blowing people out, don't think we will be blown out by anyone, he gives playing time to the other at least one other. If the game is tight or we are behind and the QB on the field isn't getting it done I can see him making a change similar to what he did in the Peach Bowl.

3. sparkafatty

sparkafatty Founding Member

both flynn and j.r. will play before the auburn game even though randall is the probable starter at this point.....injury or completely falling on his face is the only thing i can see keeping him from starting the oregon game.

4. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Randall will get the start and be at the helm all season with the game on the line; However, with a fairly soft home schdule this year expect to see either or both RSF QBs get valuable Tiger Stadium experence in blow outs.

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

At face value, you ask what would normally be an interesting question, but unfortunately last season is a poor season to use as a guide when discussing Saban's handling of QBs.

99 percent of the reason why neither Russell or Flynn saw the field last year is Saban didn't want them to lose their redshirt eligibility unless it was absolutely necessary.

If Mauck had gotten hurt and missed game time, sure, you would have seen one or both play. A more correct question is: in what order does Saban play Russell and Flynn in the early-season games (starting, in all likelihood, with Arkansas State) that are lopsided LSU wins? What was his philosophy at Michigan State in such circumstances?

The notion that both guys sit on the bench, again, all season long is ludicrous. I would imagine, if both Russell and Flynn are close performance-wise, Nick goes with one combination against Arky St., then flips it the next blowout we have (Miss St? Vandy? Troy St?)

All this presumes that Marcus Randall neither gets benched nor gets hurt. If that happens, anything is possible.

6. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

I wasn't really concerned about the order of the QB rotation, just whether or not there is going to be a rotation at all. If there is then it seems to me it just opens the door for a full-blown QB controversy. I do remember times when having two capable QB's seemed like a good thing though, for example Hodson and Guidry. That system worked pretty well.

It just seems that whoever it is, someone needs to put some distance between them and the other two, if for no other reason than continuity. I'll never forget Spurrier playing two QBs by rotating them on each play. That was pure madness. He was the only guy I've ever seen do that......it was like playing alternate shot two-man team in a golf tournament. If you've ever tried it, that is by far the hardest format to play. What other rotation schemes are there? Georgia used to rotate DJ in with Greene before last year and I believe it was on a specific number of posessions. They got away from that last year so it just doesn't seems like there are that many successful ways to do it. Anybody have an example of successful QB rotation?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't think Nick is going to be rotating his quarterbacks. He will likely pick a senor starter and Jimbo will design an offense that is complimentary to his skills. I think both freshmen QBs will play regularly. They will be put in in special circumstances to take advantage of their particukar skill set and they will see 2nd-half action in won games to get experience and lessen injury risks to the starter.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Winning the game is primary. Seasoning young players is a secondary, yet desirable goal. Saban will do whatever he feels is necessary to win a game. Once he feels that is accomplished, he will move on to the secondary phase.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Exactly.

10. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Good analysis red & sabanfan.