Saints at Carolina -- play or rest the starters?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by northernvatiger, Dec 29, 2009.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Now that the Saints have the first seed locked up for the playoffs, does SP risk injury to the starters by playing them vs Carolina this week, or should they rest up for the playoffs? Maybe play the starters the first half, and then rest them in the second half?

Factoring into this decision is the fact the team has not looked good since beating New England, and it would be a positive to correct some of the mistakes before the playoffs start, and get what had been working to click again. Try to gain back some of the momentum and energy the team has lacked, or is having momentum heading into the playoffs a myth?

Thoughts?

Saintslogo

:geauxtige

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's a no-brainer. Play the starters and hopefully figure out why they've been manhandled for the past 5 games. Bonus: Get some confidence going into the playoffs. I sure could use some.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

+ 1

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

+2

Seems like a no-brainer to me. The colts have shown how bad it is to rest starters in the past. And that's when things are going well. When things are going bad, you really don't have a choice. I would go out there and play all new looks. Give the first playoff opponent something to think about.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

The Saints have been resting for a month now. It's time they play a complete game to prepare for the playoffs.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

+3

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think you start them and evaluate how the game progresses. If the chemistry is good, we are moving the ball on offense and stopping Carolina on defense you may consider resting a few guys. If it is a dog fight you probably let the starters play. A 12 play 80 yard opening drive TD and a 3 and out from the defense is probably a day if I'm the coach.

8. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Although there is some a strong case to use your equation for success, one of the Saints biggest problem over the past couple of weeks is not being able to close out games like they did the first 10-11 games. Going up 17-0 then losing in OT is a pretty sad sign or starting out down 17-0 was even worse. The team needs to get back to playing 60 mins of football, not 45.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I agree. Plus, it gives some starters, like Jabari Greer, one game to shake off some of the rust from sitting so long. Not sure if he's going to play or not, but he should if he can.