Saints at Carolina -- play or rest the starters?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by northernvatiger, Dec 29, 2009.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

The other thing is that we will have a bye week so there is plenty of time for rest. That shouldn't be an issue. To me, getting your rhythm back far outweighs the risk of injury.

2. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Sit every player that's not healthy. Let them take the week to heal instead of aggrivating an injury or slowing the healing process and have them better able to perform in the playoffs. Play everyone on your roster that's healthy. They play the way they normally would. I wouldn't pull players unelss the game is out of hand late (lead or deficit), then it doesn't matter.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I agree. Plus, it gives some starters, like Jabari Greer, one game to shake off some of the rust from sitting so long. Not sure if he's going to play or not, but he should if he can.

Also, it's a little disconcerting that it happened at home both times, when the Dome was as loud as I've ever heard it and with a rookie QB starting in one of those games. Still, I guess it's better than having to go on the road to play; especially if we make it to the NFC title game and had to play in Minn. That's the 2nd loudest Dome to play in outside of the Super Dome.

4. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Start the starters and clinch it by halftime. Let the second half be for mixing it up to:
    A. Give anyone who hasn't played as a result of an injury sustained by a starter playing time
    B. Give anyone who is not a starter that screwed up during the last few weeks a chance to gain some confidence back

Let the coaches and the starters provide confidence in themselves and the fans for the playoffs during the first half.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You dink and dunk like you did vs Tampa and take your couple of shots downfield with max protection for Brees. Keep him clean, obviously.

I would sparingly play Bush and Shockey. I would sit Pierre Thomas and let bell and Hamilton handle the rushing duties.

I would let Porter and Greer play about a half. The Panthers have no receiver threats since Steve Smith is now out with an injury.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Play them, play them, play them. Approach it like a playoff game; getting a winning rhythm back is of paramount importance. We have a bye week, so everyone gets a 2-week rest after they take care of business against Carolina.

7. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

That's paramount. Brees is the key player the team cannot risk an injury. There were some scarey moments during the Dallas game.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

In my eyes there are ways to gain confidence before the playoffs without playing all out to win against Carolina. Let the game dictate when to pull starters. Score as many points as possible in the 1st QTR and maybe half of the 2nd. Then if you have a momentum going with a decent lead pull the starters and let the backups try to bring in the win. If the blitz is getting to Brees too often then you got to pull him IMO.

We can have momentum from our starters and still come out with a lose this weekend.

I think the starters will play at least until the 1st drive in the 3rd because we have a bye. If the pressure is not getting to Brees the let him play it out until the game is in hand.

9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

+ fo

10. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Exactly, vacation is over time to get the MoJO back and roll over Carolin ER and head into the playoff's on a roll.

Saintslogo