Saints at Carolina -- play or rest the starters?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by northernvatiger, Dec 29, 2009.

1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Although I agree with much of what you are saying, I still think that the Saints need to play to win. With the history of the Saints being what it is, I think that they need to get back to KNOWING how to win in order to make the run they and the fans want. The Saints of the past would start down this path of self destruction and never recover. This is our year and anything less than the SB would be a big disappointment. Now I am not saying they have to win the SB, although that would be the ultimate prize, they just need to get to it. A roll of getting back to winning needs to start with Carolina.Saintslogo

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I can't argue with that either...

My line of thinking is as long as the 1st team wins while they are in then it is all the same and it really doesn't matter if we win if it takes losing someone like Brees to do it because then it is bye bye time.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

Didn't we kinda do that against Tampa? Look where that got us. The team completely took their foot off the gas. They lost all emotion andcould not find a way to get it back. I would rather them just play a complete game.

They have a week off to heal up.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Easier said than done. Carolina is playing good ball right now.

5. dupzales

dupzales Founding Member

I think everyone remotely hurt should not play, and vital healthy personnel only a series or 2. When we were mowing down people at the beginning of the season, we had a complete team, healthy running backs, cornerbacks, etc. I think if we go into the playoffs with all our guns, that's a definite advantage that most of the other teams would not have. Healthy cornerbacks especially. If our safeties are back where we can play man-on-man coverage, suddenly our safeties can cheat up a little, stop the run. That's the defense that helped carry us in the beginning of the season.

This game means nothing. We need to be in tip-top shape to take the Lombardi home.SaintslogoSaintslogo

6. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

It is, but I'm dreaming:)

7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Some of you boys might be settin yourself up for a fall. Carolina is playing pretty good, Did you see the Giants game?

Not saying that Saints won't win, but I do not see the cakewalk implied in many posts.

What if Saints play the starters and get their azz, hats, and spats handed to them? That can't be a good thing.

Carolina got nuthing to play for except spoiler but with Steve Smith out, I don't think they will, just saying that it is a bit early to count the chickens.

8. arizonafan

arizonafan Veteran Member

I agree rest the injured starters or for that matter reserves. We need to get healthy especially on defense. To that I'd like to add Breese. We simply can't afford to get him hurt He is the engine that makes all of this go and if he gets hurt I think there is no chance for the SB. I REALLY don't like the idea of Peppers taking a bead on Drew's back & ribs in a meaningless game. They can work on their timing issues in the bye week then use the next week to work on the game plan plays. I lived in the SF Bay Area when the 49'ers were rolling to their 4 SB's with Montana. During the bye week they worked on the timing & speed of their offense doing things like having a practice where if you fumbled or dropped a pass you were fined. Their goal was to not let the ball hit the ground once. Then in the next week when they knew who they would play they worked on the game plan plays. It sure seemed to work for them.