Saints choke big time in 1st round

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Randy70, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

What were they thinking? They trade two first round picks to move up to the #6 position and then take a player (Sullivan) that would have probably been there when Their 17th pick came up. Some of the so called "gurus" didn't even have Sullivan going in the first round. I know the Saints need a big time stopper in the middle but this reeks. I hope I'm wrong but it looks like another 1st round disaster in New Orleans.

2. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

I might tend to disagree

I felt the same way initially but after the draft panned out in the first round the Saints did not do that bad. Sullivan would have not been there at 17th or 18th. All the Mock drafts I saw had this guy going somewhere between 10-20. Saints swap their second round picks with Arizona and they picked up a fourth round. If anybody screwed up it was Arizona looked whom they picked up with the 17th and 18th pick. I have to give the Saints a little credit with them knowing there was going to be a run on defensive linemen. They had 8 defensive linemen go in the top 15 picks. Sullivan was probably a bit of a reach. We will see. He was just a junior.

3. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

I am with Sabertooth, at first I was extremely pissed off. But we needed a DT bad and he was the best availiable. He was also the most consistent. I have been hearing he is a 60 minute player, and we needed that at DT. If we did not get this guy Minnesota would have, it was obvious we screwed their plans up big time. Fun draft.

4. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

I would like to question the 2nd round choice

With all the quality players available this pick was a big surprise. This pick will be lon debated.

5. ricky

ricky Freshman

I am glad that it makes since to you. I guess thats why they make the big bucks and consistently win in the play-offs with there slick moves. And trading 2 to get one who would have probably been there anyway.

6. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

Sullivan would not have been there. The Vikings were going to draft him next which explains why they were in complete disarray once we drafted him. Ask any expert who got the better end of the deal with the Cards trade and they will tell you it was definately the Saints.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I think the Saints made the deal hoping to draft Terrence Newman but the Cowboys grabbed him with the 5th pick in the draft. They need a great cornerback more than they need a DT I would rather the Saints had gotten Jerome McDougle if they had to go for the DL. I hope they draft Bradie James if he is still there when their pick comes up in the 4th round. I don't know anything about Jonathan Stinchcomb but there is no way he is going to be half the player that Turley was in his rookie year. Trading Turley was a big mistake

here is the lowdown on Stinchcomb

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Smart player with a good work ethic … Big-body type with good quickness off the snap, getting off the line of scrimmage with ease … Has the kick slide and change-of-direction agility to mirror defenders when moving laterally … Keeps a wide leg base and flashes a strong hand punch … Uses his body to gain position and is effective in using his hands to lock on … Reads and reacts to the action quickly in pass protection … Sits at a low pad level, punching and extending to sustain the edge rush … Has the quick feet needed to handle outside pressure.
    Negatives: Legs are very thin, preventing him from getting a strong base and needs to add more lower body strength to effectively anchor … Does not have good muscle tone, as he is very soft in the mid-section … His lack of strength causes him to get exposed vs. the larger defensive ends … Has to use his body to gain position to compensate for a lack of strength … Moves well straight ahead, but is not a natural knee-bender, causing him to struggle when trying to redirect in the second level … Flashes a good hand punch, but tends to catch too often rather than pop into the defender … Tries to run his feet with little success when asked to inline block … Lack of a strong leg base causes him to be pushed backwards in pass protection … Has struggled in the past to add needed bulk to his frame.

They might have a good one in Cie Grant. He came through bigtime in the NC game against Miami

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ken Dorsey

If Ken Dorsey is still on the board by the time the Saints pick comes up in the 5th or 6th round they should grab him. With Jake Delhomme going to the Panthers the Sainst have no backup at QB who I ever heard of. Dorsey didn't get the respect from MFL scouts because he dosen't have a cannon for an arm but then neither did Joe Montana or Kenny Stabler. All Dorsey did was to win something like 36 out of 37 starts with a National Championship and an overtime loss for a second NC. With good coaching he will end up as a better Pro QB than either Rex Grossman or Chrissy Simmes. If Aaron Brooks can stay healthy for the whole year and the Saints can pick up a veteran backup it would be an ideal situation for Dorsey as the 3rd stringer to learn until he is ready. While the Saints still need an impact corner its not likely they will get one in the later rounds that can help them in the next few years the way that Dorsey should be able to do

9. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

You honestly want the Saints to draft Ken Dorsey?????

10. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

According to SI (and I'm making no judgment about their prognostication abilities), the Saints should "stand pat" at QB with Brooks, Todd Bouman and J.T. O'Sullivan. The blurb on Bouman is this: "Acquired from the Vikings, Bouman is the most underrated backup in the league; someday he'll play in the Pro Bowl."

SI also says this about Rohan: "The coaches like Davey, a Daunte Culpepper clone, so much that they want to try to run him inot the game for Brady in certain situations."