Saints @ Falcons MNF

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Dec 22, 2010.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The title of that "other" thread needs to be changed to Drew Brees value to the Saints is astronomical or whatever the hell that bush lover izzy has up there. Good job tonight by the team minus 1.

edit- I absolutely loved that they played Dandy Don singing "turn out the lights" at the end of the game. That was freaking awesome and I hope they do it every game. What a tribute.

ok hijack officially over.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

What an awesome game. Defense was HUGE. They only gave up one TD to ATL's offense and caused a TO inside the 3. Can't say enough about them.

One slight criticism I have is Sean Payton's reluctance to stay with the run. I think if he showed a little more patience with it, we would be more successful. We're gonna need a running game if we have to play outdoors in the cold in the playoffs.

Oh yeah, picks aside Drew Brees is the best QB in the league. Manning nor Brady could've handled the pressure ATL brought tonight.

3. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Brees is awesome. Engineering the game-winning drive after the 2 INTs. I agree with the post above that we ought to be discussing his value to the Saints. Amazing.

Geaux Saints!!

Saintslogo

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Great game by Brees and the Saints. If not for an ill advised int and Porter giving Atl their TD with 2 PI penalties this game wasn't even close. The called back TD was bs. I hate that this season is gonna come down to the wire and only because we lost to 2 teams we had no business losing to.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Anybody else see this? Meachem injured after the game! Hope this is not serious:

New Orleans Saints' Robert Meachem injured in collision with photographer | NOLA.com

As to the game, we'd better get used to seeing games like this. IMO, we are going to see non-stop blitzing for as long as Drew Brees is our QB. It's the only way anyone has a hope of slowing him down. Big props to the defense: Turner was ineffective, Gonzalez was invisible, White was barely a factor. As to the convos that popped up all week as to whether Ryan is better than Brees, I think the game affirmed what we already knew: Matt Ryan is a very, very good QB. Drew Brees is an elite QB.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Couldn't agree more. D only gave up one TD, negated the Falcon running game, and nullified Gonzales, who killed us last time. Also think the blue print is out on how to slow us down, but I think it's an easy adjustment for Payton and Brees, as evidenced by the 90yrd game winning TD drive AND the drive that ran the clock out. Still, I think Payton needs to be a little more patient with the running game. No way will make it back to the SB throwing 50x a game.

Hope Meachem is ok.

7. mctiger

We really need Ivory back. PT is good between the tackles, but he's not built to pound the ball against 8-man fronts. Our o-line needs to step up in the playoffs as well.

Detilier pointed out on WWL this morning, we've only given up 11 TD passes in 15 games. In today's NFL, that's ridiculously good.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah, the Saints only weakness on defense is the linebackers (other than Vilma) and they played well last night. Man, was it JoLon Dunbar that blew up Turner in the backfield when the falcons were pinned back deep in their own territory? That was a hell of a play.

The Saints do need Ivory back, and if not, SP needs to at least give Pierre the ball, and not just totally abandon the run. He is trying to throw the ball in the first half and get a lead, then control the clock with the running game, and it hasn't been working. Well, it worked at the end of the game last night, but, SP needs to mix in the run alot more in the 1st half.

9. mctiger

The defensive run game plan seemed to be built to get Dunbar or Shanle into the backfield very quickly and disrupt Turner before he could get up a head of steam. One or the other (usually Dunbar) seemed to be back there all night. Very nice coaching by GW.

Agree completely on your comments about the offense.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Agreed. I thought there were points in the game when he could have ate the clock up and put it away.
    Hey, fine by me. Tell them to bring it on. The lesson from this game should be that Brees has the footwork to destroy your blitz and make you pay.