Saints@ Falcons

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Nov 19, 2013.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Exactly. It was a defensive penalty. The clock should have restarted.

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I probably got more excited than I should have when Jimmy Graham Shaq'd the fuck out of the goal post.

I was drunk as piss....maybe that's why.

Also, I feel like Guy Fieri's asshole this morning.

3. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

For us older Saints' fans, it's easy to have a real good idea how a Falcon fan feels getting beat 13 out of 16 times --- I was in Tulane stadium for the first Saints' regular season game where John Gilliam ran back the opening kick-off for a TD...

... and that first play was after the Saints had won almost all of their pre-season games --- We Saints' fans sure came down to Earth hard --- From our naive thinking that the Saints were THAT first expansion team that would start out as champions to the Aints gives one understanding how the Falcon fans feel.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I've never seen it work in any situation in the pros. It normally back fires, like when he did it against ATL in 2010. Bryant missed the first one, but made the 2nd. So yeah, he is the first one to ever make it work.

I'll reiterate what I posted earlier. Mike Smith is Sean Payton's bitch. 13 out of 16!

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well it's worked before. That's not what I was asking.

I was stating that I think it's the first time in NFL history that a head coach iced a kicker in which the FG would not even give the team the lead.

6. fanatic

I know what you were asking. The answer to your question is yes. For me, I've never seen it work at all. I've only seen it back fire. I'm actually surprised Payton tried it, given what happened the last time he tried it against Bryant.

7. islstl

Do you remember the game? I certainly can't think why anyone would get iced in that situation.

I agree with you that icing doesn't tend to work. I would say it has backfired more than it has worked (like in the Atlanta game you spoke of).

8. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

I was at the game that it didnt work. Sitting in the club section dead center of the field goal posts atl kicked the winning field goal through. You could see us standing there on TV lookin like the see, hear speak no evil monkeys.....one had hands over eyes, one mouth, and one ears as it went through. Went from pumped when the first kick was blocked(I think it was blocked not missed but may remember that a little off) to terribly disappointed when we realized he had called the TO. Glad it worked out better this time.

9. fanatic

Same here. Don't give Matt Bryant a 2nd shot because he won't miss 2 in a row. I also remember we shudda/cudda/wudda won the game in regulation, but Hartley missed one inside of 40.

I don't remember a specific game and I only said yes because there's really no reason to try and ice a kicker if the kick he's attempting won't even give his team the lead. It definitely would have made the game more tense had the kick been good with ATL having all it's timeouts, plus the 2m warning. We botched the NE game because of shoddy clock management and could have possibly done the same thing here.

10. islstl

You noticed how he threw the ball to Meachem on 2nd down? Payton was not going 3 and out like he did against New England.

Ironically the Saints win the game vs the Pats if he doesn't call for that pass play that was incomplete to Colston.

fanatic likes this.