Saints heading in wrong direction entering the playoffs???

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by DownOnTheBayou, Dec 20, 2009.

1. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Well the Saints luck finally ran out last night. In all their close games this year the ball bounced their way, but not last night. Devery dropping a TD, Harper dropping a pick, the plethera of blown calls by the officials, etc.

The defense has been horrible for a while now. But that's not my biggest concern. Pass-happy Payton has decided that he no longer wants to run the ball, even though it worked so well to start the season. Steve Young and Terry Bradshaw have also voiced their concerns about this the past couple of weeks. Payton has gone back to calling plays as he did the previous two seasons, therefore all of our games lately have been nail biters. With the exception of NE and TB.

I'm hoping this loss will wake Payton the f up and get back to running the ball. Payton should be embarrassed that he got outcoached by Wade, i'm a fat Bum, Phillips. But if this is the Saints team that shows up in the playoffs, they will be 1 and done and this dream season will be all for nothing.

1 person likes this.
  2. tuckerman

tuckerman Veteran Member

With the exception of the Patriots game, it's been going downhill for a while. IMO mostly due to injuries in an already thin and suspect defense coming into the season. But, I still believe Cowboys outcome was more a result of 'we thought we deserved it' --Brees' post game comment, and Colston's game week statement that maybe we're the best team ever. They're all young guys who've never been here before and they couldn't handle their own press. When I saw the cocky expression on the returner's face (don't know his name) before the opening kickoff, I knew we were in trouble.

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Actually, I think this loss is just what the doctor ordered. It seems as if we have gotten away from the run and at times maybe the players and especially the coaches have become complacent. I think the loss was the proverbial cold water on the face to wake us up and keep us humble/hungry.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Blown calls by officials was not the problem. All season the Saints have had to rely solely on their offense to pull them through because they had no defense to speak of. Last night the offense failed to show up for the first three quarters and they had no defense they could rely on to get them through the rough spots. I don't recall what their defense looked like last year, but if things don't improve next year on defense Benton needs to start looking for a new DC.

5. arizonafan

arizonafan Veteran Member

The defense hasn't been great all year but at least they were getting some stops and most of all TURNOVERS. This keeps giving Breese the ball back and many times in great field position. Now they aren't getting ANY turnovers and no stops. So Breese has to sit a big part of the game while the other team is scoring and making Breese have to play catch up instead of him making the other team have to play catch up. I really hope that the answer on defense is the injured players and not that they are just totally bad and the other teams have figured out how to attack us.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I am not worried.

I do hope that Coach Payton learned his lesson that you just can't tell the defense that you're not gonna run the ball and let them pin their ears back. We finally met out match in Dallas as they did a very good job rushing just 4 for most of the night.

Greer and Ellis will be back and the defense will be opportunistic once again.

The Saints are going 5-0 from here on out on their way to an 18-1 Super Bowl winning record.

Trust.

1 person likes this.
  7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Apparently the key to beating the Saints is to pile on the points before Williams figures out what the hell is going on.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Just what the doctor ordered would be some healthy players. The Saints aren't exactly deep with quality talent, there is a huge drop off at most positions and there are tons of injuries. Also the OL and DL have been exposed for weeks. When all the DB's were healthy they had great coverage which hid the weak DL. Sedrick Ellis is looking more and more like one of those players that misses as many games as he plays. I sure hope he gets over the injury bug, the DL needs him. Someone earlier in the year was singing praise of Jenkins as he made a few good special teams plays claiming he was ready to play. It's obvious that he is very green and has a loooooong way to go. If he is one of the starters come playoff time it's going to be a short run. The Saints need everyone healthy on D and for Bushrod to take off his concrete cleats and get in someone's way. I think the big head or lack of motivation has played very little part in the recent struggles.

9. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

From my casual reading of Saints news, I understand that we have a lot of injured players. Sure would appreciate any learned opinions on…

Which Saints’ players are injured that have a good chance to be back for the playoffs?

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Ellis, Greer, Gay, Bush, Shockey, Young. Those are the ones of the top of my head and they should all be back by playoff time. Those don't count the ones lost for the year earlier in the season.