Saints heading in wrong direction entering the playoffs???

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by DownOnTheBayou, Dec 20, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok so we all knew that the defense has been in trouble, but what the hell happened to the offense? 1-7 on 3rd downs? Unacceptable.

2. LesMilesFan

LesMilesFan Founding Member

Damn the bandwagon is emptying fast. I may be able to afford a ticket to the game this weekend. 13-1 BABY!!!!

3. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

Already got mine, happy we will be playing for something!

The defense isn't the same without Sed, they could get 5 yards on a draw whenever they wanted. Also, IMO, corners we can't leave on an island takes away from the safties roaming and the overall aggressiveness of the scheme. In saying that, after the first two drives they only got 10 points, we just didn't get them off the field quickly.

Sometimes the offense just doesn't click, Drew was definitely off. Only thing that I could think was without shockey we werent as comfortable in our 2 te sets which didn't help our protection.

Get the win next week and get healthy. We didn't look great but no one else does right now either.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I think a lot of people are forgetting some cold, hard facts about the NFL. There's a reason only four teams have gone undefeated in the league's 90 year history....every team is made up of well-paid professionals who are among the world's best at their profession. Going 13 games without a loss put a target squarely on the Saints' backs. Several team got close to the target, and Saturday night, a team that is much better than anyone gave them credit for, and ABSOLUTELY HAD TO WIN, got the job done. The biggest thing that went wrong Saturday was that the offense was not up to snuff. Had we had an average game statistically, we would have won by 2 touchdowns. Does anyone really believe this offense won't bounce back from that performance?

The Saints were not perfect before several important players started having injury problems. But with everyone healthy, I believe they are capable of beating anyone they may have to face in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl.

5. LaSalleAve

Agreed.
    The Cowboys had their back against the wall, Wade Philips isn't a bad defensive coach, and Demarcus Ware is no slouch.

Think of it this way, the Saints probably played their worst game of the season, and were a devry henderson drop and roman harper drop away from winning that game. Lots of things to work on, but the wheels are no where close to falling off. Get a win next week, play the starters in half of the game against Carolina, and get Greer, Ellis, Porter, Fujita, Shockey, Bush all healthy and ready to go for week 2 of the playoffs, and who knows maybe Dallas will be back in New Orleans.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Exactly. Only 10 pts after the first 5 minutes. I would say after that the adjustments made were sufficient enough. Unfortunately, the to's and the inability for the offense to ever really get going, until it was too late cost us the game. No worries though, as Izzy pointed out 5-0 from this point on.

7. mean machine

mean machine Founding Member

Except for New England and Tampa Bay, this team has been playing with fire for two months now. They finally got burned. The D was pretty shaky even before all of the injuries. But I still have trouble wrapping my mind around how bad the O played. Three points in three quarters? WTF?

It was really a miracle we were in position to tie that game at the end.

But we are still the envy of the NFC. Time to clinch home field throughout and get some players healthy for the playoffs.

8. mctiger

Not. We trailed Miami by 21 at the 1st half 2:00 warning, Carolina by 11 at the half, and Washington by 10 at the quarter (and two more times in the game). We came back in all of those games. The difference between those and the Dallas game was that Dallas kept our offense in check for most of the night.

9. LaSalleAve

Exactly, the offense couldn't get anything going, and i really think Reggie Bush could have earned his paycheck in this one. He could have been the gamebreaker, i think if he doesn't pull up lame, the Saints win.

10. mctiger

This is at least the third time you've posted the Reggie Bush comment. Why so intent on trying to blame that loss on an injury to one guy? While I agree he could have had an impact, he didn't try to get hurt. Why not blame Bushrod for failing miserably at pass protection? Henderson for dropping a touchdown pass that might have swung the momentum our way when their was time for it to make a difference? Brees for turnovers on back-to-back possessions in the 2nd quarter when we might have gone into the locker room tied, or at worst a score down? Jenkins for getting spun like a top by Miles Austin all night? Harper for totally bailing when he could have tackled Barber at the 2 and prevented the second touchdown?

Better yet, why don't we just acknowledge what really happened....on Saturday night, the Cowboys wanted it more, and were the better team. Moving on....