Saints make masterful move to secure Brandon Cooks

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, May 8, 2014.

1. old school

old school Veteran Member

I completely agree that the Saints need better receivers to reach the next level. It was evident many times last year when Brees was holding the ball a long time or forcing it because no one was open. And yes, our window of opportunity will close in a few years. Someone that had a fast combine 40, especially considering his height, was Moncrief from Ole Miss. Perhaps he wouldn't be a bad pick later on. I am a bit prejudiced against Marquise Lee and didn't want him.
    As a returner Cooks can replace Sproles, but I think many are overdoing it . We need a RB to take his role in our offense not a receiver.
    If CSP has anything to say about it I can't see him ever wanting to trade down. Even when it is the right thing to do I think his nature is so aggressive he would have a hard time doing it. Think about the on sides kick in the Superbowl. IMO I think CSP goes for the 1st down on 4th down too often also because his emotion takes over even if we haven't run well all game.
    Hopefully Cooks will be a great pick.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Traveris Cadet can return kicks.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Picture of Cooks doing those cone drills on that sand volleyball court

[​IMG]

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I think we're going all in for next season. Although we'll still have a decent number of core players, the salary cap is going to eat us alive in 2015. Loomis is going to have to get more creative then he's ever been (cap wise) or we'll see a lot more fan favorites being released.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

People have been saying that the salary cap will eat the Saints alive for years now. Loomis just laughs and keeps on signing players. No doubt there will be some cutting and restructuring, but the cap will increase as well. There's tons of room.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Ok, well you basically just said the same thing I did, but in a different way. The point I was trying to make is that biggest cap hit for the Saints is not this year, it's next. That's an undisputeable fact. Like we both said, there will have to be some cuts and restructuring to help ease that burden. But Loomis is a freakin' cap genius, so I'm confident that he'll find a way to do what it takes keep the players they want to keep and continue signing viable free agents.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Add on the fact that the cap allowance could go up as much as $15 million next year alone.