Saints @ Rams

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 9, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Saints offense left at least 17 points minimum out on that field today.

The game should have been 45-17 before any of those late game shenanigans commenced.

2. islstl

Gay is going to fill in nicely at the other CB spot. He won't be great, but then again he won't have to be.

Greer will always cover the best receiver of the other team. I think Gay can handle most team's #2 receiver adequately.

My actual concern is nickel and dime defense when players like Jenkins and Torrence have to see a lot of the field.

I think the Saints need to go out and get someone if Porter is out for a while or the entire season.

The Saints pass rush and pressure of the QB now becomes much more paramount in keeping this defense "opportunistic".

3. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

That would be great, if true. It usually takes a few days +/- an MRI to determine the extent. Porter's injury looked bad out there, but then again, so did Ellis'.

To make this thing work throughout the year, we need to avoid major injuries.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

damn i was close. Jackson went for 131 on the ground and a touchdown. Is it just me, and please don't take this as being down on Payton, but his playcalling at times is really suspect. 4th and 2 and you run the ball with the fullback, when you have...... whats that guy's name again.....damn....uh....oh yeah, DREW FREAKING BREES.

I wouldn't look too deeply into the defense though, no Sharper, no Ellis, no Greer, Porter hurt. Just win the division and home field advantage and get these guys healthy for a good play off run and hopefully a super bowl run.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Gay got beat on both Rams' TD passes, and on a 3rd and long. And every Rams receiver is a #2 receiver at best on most teams. I have no confidence in him at all as an every down player.

With the defensive injuries and the way the offense is beginning to sputter, I'm getting worried.

6. islstl

turnovers on offense always seem to come in spurts and the Saints are definitely in that kinda funk, so I don't expect it to continue

defensively, I think we can hide Gay/Jenkins with Greer, Sharper and Harper back there....although a lot of that depends on the pass rush

We get big Sed back along with a healthier Fujita stuffing the run, the offense clicking and putting the opposing team behind the 8 ball having to throw the ball and play catch up, then you're back to Saints brand of football and what Gregg Williams likes to feed off of

I think we will be ok as long as we don't sustain any more injuries on D.....but that's easier said than done

7. mctiger

Agreed. 2 of the 3 turnovers yesterday were sort of freak plays. Two bad (or not much impact, however you want to phrase it) games in a row for Colston and Shockey bothers me. And Payton may be getting a little too cute with the running back rotation. You've got to give a guy a chance to get a hot hand, IMO. All 3 showed flashes yesterday, but they were being rotated in and out practcally on a play-by-play basis. No continuity. Bush spent the entire 4the quarter on the sidelines after averaging nearly 13 yards a touch in the first 3; I don't get it.

Getting Ellis back would be huge...we've been burned up the middle for 3 first halves in a row. Part of that is having faced Turner, Williams/Stewart and Jackson, but his absence has hurt. Getting Sharper and Greer back is vital.

8. mctiger

ESPN reports Porter's injury "might be" a torn ACL.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

nice call. the saints d tackled like ass yesterday. they were pretty disinterested it seemed.

shoulda known i guess, playing a team off a bye is always tough. especially when they suck. everyone is disinterested to an extent except the suck team.

i think gay is a serviceable corner and will be fine. one of those throws to avery was a great throw with no time by bulger. he let it go immediately under pressure.

losing porter does hurt this teams chances though. jenkins, as good as hes been on special teams, looks a bit lost most of the time. time to get better, malcolm.

agree on the colston and shockey part to an extent but brees wasnt in rhythm and was dumping everything off to the wendys founder at tight end. and bush.

and regarding reggie on the sideline its what payton has done all year. put in fresh legs throughout the game regardless who had the better stats to that point.

reggie did have a good game but payton is also aware he was due for a fumble. he had gone 6 carries without one. playing with fire there.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

ESPN is wrong according to Buddy Songy.

Sprained MCL and out 2-4 weeks.