Saints RFA Tenders

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Feb 25, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Tenders:
    J.Brown - 1st and 3rd rounder (confirmed)
    J.Evans - 1st and 3rd rounder (confirmed)

R.Harper - 1st rounder (confirmed)

P.Thomas - 2nd rounder (confirmed)
    L.Moore - 2nd rounder (confirmed)
    J.Bushrod - 2nd rounder (confirmed)
    Z.Strief - 2nd rounder (confirmed)

U.Young - 3rd rounder (confirmed)
    C.Roby - 3rd rounder (confirmed)
    A.Hargrove - 3rd rounder (confirmed)
    D.Thomas - 3rd rounder (confirmed)

M.Mitchell - 7th rounder (confirmed)

R.Ayodele - no compensation (confirmed)
    C.Reis - no compensation (confirmed)
    M.Bell - no compensation (confirmed)

No tenders:

L.Torrence
    K.Eckel
    J.Charleston

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

The fact that we didn't tender Mike Bell makes me reeeeally wonder about the LT thing. The fact of the matter is that if Drew Brees wants LT, then the Saints will go sign him.

Interesting.

3. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Yeah kinda agree about the Mike Bell thing..let him go and #21 is open as well or maybe its because he didnt wear the right cleats in the Super Bowl ionno :grin:

More information on New Orleans Saints' restricted free agent offers | - NOLA.com

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The compensatory picks....are they added to the draft by the league, or does the team who signs a RFA give up a pick?

Yes, it seemed to me by the end of the year, Bell had been supplanted in the game plan by Hamilton. Plus Thomas had demonstrated that he was capable of making the types of runs that Bell was being counted on for earlier in the year.

At this stage in his career, LT offers more of a change of pace from Thomas than Bell did. Plus he'd be a great mentor for Bush.

From the NFL Film sideline mics after the play, it seemed like SP spread the blame. First he yelled at MB, then he yelled at the equipment guys, finally he just blurted,"that's my fault." Maybe we're getting rid of Dan Simmons and Silky Powell too.:rofl:

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Why not Evans? He is the best offensive lineman the Saints have.

6. islstl

mctiger, the signing period for RFAs ends the day before the draft begins. this allows teams to get their compensatory picks THIS year.

7. islstl

The consensus is the Saints are working out a long term deal before March 5th deadline.

We expect something to be announced fairly soon.

8. tboy

tboy Founding Member

After Bell got hurt he was never really reinserted in the lineup and given a chance to pound the ball. I was surprised by how little we used him given the fact that he looked great in a few early games running like a man possessed. We had a great one-two punch with Thomas and Bell, keeping them fresh and riding the one with the hot hand. We were lucky to have Bell when Thomas was hurt.
    Signing L.T. would be a mistake. He is through, but his ego won't let him believe it. How good were Emmit Smith and Edgerrin James in a Cardinal uniform? How about Earl Campbell as a Saint? The team you have been with forever knows it better than anyone else when your abilities have diminished. Brees knows the old L.T., just like Bum Phillips thought he was getting the old Earl Campbell. Don't do it Saints!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Right, but are those picks that the league adds to the draft, or do they take them away from teams that sign FA's and give them to the teams that lost them?

10. chewie

chewie Glitched

I think you have to calculate alot of other variables. The chargers have evolved into a vertical threat, stretch the field type of offense that depreciated LT's value as well. I'm not saying he hasn't lost anything from age, but the guy is a fearless leader with a solid work ethic that will give 200% for Brees and a shot at a super bowl. LT is my kinda guy and I would love to sign him.

Another good point is that he will have good compliments in Reggie and Pierre (and drew) so he can hopefully stay healthy and fresh throughout the season.