Saints' Sean Payton glad Orgeron is gone.

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Jan 1, 2009.

1. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

I agree that the player evaluation on the Saints team is absolutely dreadful.

But Gary Gibbs is a HORRIBLE DC. This defense has gotten worse in the three years Payton has been here.

Most of our players wouldn't even make the practice squad on most teams. Bullocks, David, Kaesviharn, Harper, Shanle, just to name a few.

Payton needs to do a Les Miles and get a completely new defensive staff. If he doesn't, he can join Shanahan, Crenel, Mangini, and co.

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

We led the NFL in scoring and yards from scrimmage. With as quickly as our offense scores points our defense will suffer by design. We need to draft another RB and get rid of Gibbs.

3. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Yep. Drew Brees and the Saints are today's Dan Fouts and the Chargers.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Very true. The Saints saw improved D-line play with Orgeron in the one and only season he was there.

I think its sour grapes for Payton at this point. Not very professional of him. I am kinda surprised he said this. He could have just left it at being distracting to his team and not throwing him under the bus saying he underperformed.

Payton needs to fire his old butt buddy Gibbs. Talk about underperforming. Guy has no clue how to blitz effectively. He is clearly in over his head with this job.

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Why anyone would call for Payton's head is beyond me. He's the best coach we've had in a long time. Yes our defense sucks but that can be addressed and fixed. Our offense has never been so dynamic and I we're always in the game no matter how many points we're behind. We get a defense and we're a SuperBowl team. Getting rid of Payton would be foolish.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Three years and counting everyone has been saying this.

How long are Saints fans going to have deal with this ineptitude?

Payton will go down with Gibbs it appears, in much the same manner that Mora went down with his "son-in-law" Carl Smith. The Saints would have won a couple of Super Bowls had they gotten a legit OC.

Does anybody realize that if the Saints would fire Gibbs, go out and get the very best DC they can (overpay them if you have to), that the Saints would be Super Bowl contenders, immediately?

8. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Possibly, but Payton will meet his match, the passing game will be shut down eventually, and there will be nothing to fall back on. Point being... he's not well-rounded. It's pass only, run rarely.

Look at the hi in rushing here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=nor

Completely one-dimensional teams only go so far, even with a defense.

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

There are no quotes from Payton in this article only information from a source. This happens all the time and does not reflect at all on payton's professionalism.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

What's the alternative? The Saints of old that were equally inept on offense as this team is on defense? The defensive squads we used to field were just as disappointing, if not more, but the difference is nobody wanted to buy tickets to see the old Saints. At least we're selling tickets as of now, which keeps fan support up and ultimately keeps the Saints in New Orleans. Like I said, find some sort of defensive identity and we're a SuperBowl team. Easier said than done, I know, but I believe Payton will lead us there.