Saints select Patrick Robinson in 1st round

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Not a surprise with all the front 7 guys gone.

He will be a good cover corner in this league.

Gregg Williams wants guys who can cover so he can max blitz a lot of the time.

He got what he wanted in Patrick Robinson.

Look for Malcolm Jenkins to be moved to his more natural spot at free safety this season, regardless of whether we sign Sharper or not.

Jenkins will be a great free safety in this league. Robinson and Gay will share duties in nickel and dime.

2. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

A first round pick for a guy who will never be more than a nickle corner? I'd rather grab the LB from TCU.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

TCU guy was off the table but I would of liked the Texas OLB Sergio Kimble but not disappointed at all that we took Robinson.

Hope Saints have their sites set on an OLB in round 2 or 3.

4. arizonafan

arizonafan Veteran Member

Our #1 priority was to get run stoppers. Our run defense made everyone look like the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders and we did NOTHING in the 1st round to address this. Next year starting with the Vikes we are going to see nothing but run. It moves the chains, uses up time, and keeps the #1 reason we won the SB sitting the bench collecting pine splinters. I fully agree we needed another athletic corner considering how bad we got when our starters were injured but not in the 1st round. We aren't going to win it again with just offense and we did nothing to improve the situation. I think the 1st round pick stinks.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

So we took a guy from a secondary that couldn't cover a WR if you gave any of them 2 blankets each? Really? Did anyone watch an FSU game this year any of them? They got lit up by anyone with anything that smelled like a passing game. I hate this pick. I hope it works out but as of now I think it is terrible. Kindle would have been a much better get. JMO.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I wouldn't go this far by any means. There are a lot of guys out there who would have been acceptable at #32.

Everson Griffin, USC
    Brian Price, UCLA
    Carlos Dunlap, Florida
    Navorro Bowman, Penn State
    Sean Lee, Penn State
    Lamar Houston, Texas
    Nate Allen, South Florida
    Daryl Washington, TCU
    Linval Joseph, East Carolina
    Eric Norwood, South Carolina
    Cam Thomas, North Carolina

I don't know if you watched many Saints games this year, but no one runs the ball when they're faced with a 2-3 touchdown deficit and Drew Brees is throwing the ball. I'm not happy with the DT situation either, but it's not as dire as you make it sound.

There are still a ton of defensive players that can come in and make an impact available, too. This draft is 'sick' deep in talent.

7. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Didn't know Washington (TCU) was off the table. I thought that the Saints just passed on him and decided to take Robinson. Had another team already picked him previously? If so, guess I missed it. I was really hoping for an LB to help make up for the loss of Fujita and be stronger against the run. Washington would've have been a great pick. Hope Robinson works out though. :LSU231:

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I roll my eyes at all of you (well, some of you).:rolleye33:

A couple of reminders....

1. The Saints have 5 picks left this year.
    2. This is the same scouting department that found Carl Nicks in the 5th round, Jermon Bushrod in the 4th round, Jahri Evans in the 4th round, and Marques Colston in the 7th round.

What do Remi Ayodele, Jonathan Casillas, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Troy Evans, Jabari Greer, Lynell Hamilton, Garrett Hartley, Lance Moore, Chris Reis and Pierre Thomas have in common? Two things....all were significant contributers to our Super Bowl Champion team last year, and all entered the league as undrafted free agents.

Have faith in our scouting department and coaching staff. They've earned it.

Saintslogo|lombardi|Saintslogo

4 people like this.
  9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

He was talking about Jerry Hughes. Washington is still out there.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Like LSU's 2 :crystal: in the last few years, the |lombardi| is already forgotten by some.

What have you done for me lately?.

Great response by the way, MC