Saints select Patrick Robinson in 1st round

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I'm okay with the pick of CB. My concern is the bust potential for Robinson. Everything I've gotten is that he's got Top 15 talent, but doesn't necessarily have it there mentally. That last part has me a little worried. The good news is he can ease in and start at nickle. Just hope our coaches get his potential out of him.

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I'm not worried about the pick. I have the confidence in our coaches and our scouts. Remember this is a coaching staff that was able to get a franchise that hadn't been smart enough to have a winning attitude for over 40 yrs, to the Mt Rushmore of winning attitudes.

3. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

The one thing that you cant teach a CB is speed. Robinson is one of the few legit 4.3 guys and prototypical size for a true corner, which the Saints have few. Gay is nickel guy, Young and Jenkins are tweeners. I did not see him being picked over Kindle, but it makes sense. There are a lot of good LBs still out there. With Clauson and McCoy going 3 and 5 in the 2nd Round, there are only 30 picks before the Saints and 11 LBs on the above list + Kindle. The Saints should get one of those guys. Eric Norwood would be awesome then Harry Coleman in a later round.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

First of all, i didn't like the pick. I thought the Saints needed an outside linebacker more than anything and to me, the best one was still on the board at the time, in Sergio Kindle. However i have been critical of Payton in the past and the dude proved me to be a dumbass. Not going to complain what so ever.

5. arizonafan

arizonafan Veteran Member

His speed isn't a question at all. There is a youtube out there of him catching Noel Devine from West Virginia from behind after Devine had got to top speed. I think Devine is a 4.4 and our guy was making up ground with every step. I just worry about other teams running it down our throat all season. Payton & Loomis are really good so I imagine the draft is deep enough for us to address this later. I also think the Colts taking Huges right before us surprised our war room too. I know I was really PO'd when they did it.:angry:

6. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

From what I read on him, he's great underneath in coverage but is suseptable to the double move. Sounds alot like Jason David to me.

I admit the current staff has done a much better job in recent years in evaluating talent. I just think we could've done better.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

11 of the 26 players Sean Payton has drafted have contributed to this football team. Some alot better than others, some were absolute steals, Colston, Jhari Evans, Jermon Bushrod. The Saints' success hasnt come off the draft though, its come from free agency, and trades, but 11 out of 26 isn't bad when we are talking about the draft, and it could be 12 we just don't know about Robinson yet.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Sergio Kindle is reportedly due for microfracture surgery and thus his plummeting out of the 1st round.

Thank goodness we didn't pull that trigger.

Qball was referring to Daryl Washington I am sure, not Jerry Hughes (who played DE for TCU).

9. islstl

Yes bhelm was referring to Hughes.

But Qball was probably referring to Washington. :thumb:

10. islstl

Inside info said the Saints had Patrick Robinson rated behind only Joe Haden at CB.

So we likely had him in our top 20 picks on our big board.

That means we got somewhat of a steal in the first round in our eyes.