Sally Jenikins Column

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Uncle Milty, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Uncle Milty

Uncle Milty Founding Member

Sally Jenkins Column

This might belong in the Cam Newton thread, but I thought I'd put the link up here. Dan Jenkins's little kid writes a fine column.

"With its firm handling of cases such as mine and Cam Newton's, the NCAA has set a bold precedent. You can sleep tonight knowing that our amateur standards are unassailable, and the guardianship of our young is in the safe hands of the NCAA, an organization that rakes off $710 million in annual revenue in marketing and deals with television networks, all of which are heavily invested in the appearance that the competitors are blameless virgins, like me and Cam Newton. Newton, the pride of the Bowl Championship Series and the quarterback of its top-ranked team, had no idea what his father was up to. He just went to the schools his dad told him to - all three of them."

Sally Jenkins - When it comes to dollars, the NCAA makes no sense

2. aztiger

aztiger Missing Crawfish & LSU

Great article, and this is the sentiment of the majority of the country. Auburn looks like a giant POS but are blinded with wanting to win....they will have to answer questions and here comments like "you bought a championship" for years to come. They better get used to the * next to their championship and heisman trophy. Ask mark maguire and Roger clements if it was worth it in the long run. I almost feel sorry for them....almost.

3. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

I truly wonder what Reggie Bush thinks of all of this.

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Granted, NCAA bylaw 12.3.3 states that "any individual, agency or organization that represents a prospective student-athlete for compensation in placing the prospect in a collegiate institution . . . shall be considered an agent or organization marketing the individual's athletics ability or reputation." And the rules say that being shopped by an agent should make you ineligible.

Got that? But apparently it doesn't really mean what it says, as long as you plead personal ignorance.

She's actually right in this instance...but is she calling ALL Auburn fans ignorant and not just the Newtons ?

5. Uncle Milty

Uncle Milty Founding Member

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Let's compare trophies, Cam...

[​IMG]