Satisfied with Mediocrity

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TC, Jan 1, 2010.

1. TC

TC Le Big Mac

Most of the fans on this board are satisfied with the status quo, and that's their right. But here's the truth for those of you who feel all tingly about 4- and 5-loss seasons.

For a moment, let's just ignore LSU's offense, which is hopeless and will remain hopeless for the next two seasons, while Jordan Jefferson gets his free education and delivers fewer SEC wins than losses.

Let's talk defense.

Any objective fan can see LSU's defense isn't strong enough to compete for championships.

LSU's defense is okay, but it couldn't close out the game vs PSU or vs. Ole Miss or vs. Bama. Florida and a woozy Tebow just toyed with the Tiger D for 4 quarters.

Every team the LSU D played this year had at least moderate success rushing the ball. Not once did you see an opposing QB rattled against them. Tight ends and RBs ran wide open in the flat and up the seams. Tiger corners and safeties got beat deep consistently. Third downs? Please. And the missed tackles all year long were just sad.

It's not a championship-caliber unit, and most of the players are upperclassmen 4 and 5 star recruits.

So, lovers of mediocrity, where's the hope? Who's going to step up next year, stuff the run, provide a consistent pass rush, and blanket receivers?

Who's going to hold the good teams under 20 points, while JJ and company go for the NCAA record for three and outs?

Yeah, that's what I thought. :redface:

While you're typing your sunshine-pumping responses, you can also predict who the Tigers' head coach is going to be in 2011.

2. gmoz33

gmoz33 Founding Member

Pretty sure this post could have gone under about 10 other threads. But thanks for starting a new one.

1 person likes this.
  3. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

from where the LSU football program was when Saban took over to where it was when he left is night and day. Without multiple championships (SEC and/or National), Miles was just destined for failure. Expectations were sky high and he just hasn't provided. LSU needs a fresh start, just like Bama did. Bottom line, IMHO.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

ALL I am going to say is out of the teams you mentioned, NONE had a offense that STRUGGLED to get 40 plays per game.

The Offensive performance is a huge part of the D....

Our D isn't perfect, but how can you ask that of them when their O screws them over every game?

1 person likes this.
  5. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Honestly, if you think things are that hopeless going forward, then why do you bother to keep posting here? Anyway, I found you a new avatar:

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

So we sucked on both sides of the ball all year. Is that it?

Don't look now, but you I think you're making TC's point.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

First, he never said the D sucked nor did I.

And how am I making his point by stating that the LACK OF O and the struggle for the O to get 40 plays per game affects the D play?

I think the only player based problems with LSU are the Lines..

8. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Mediocrity sucks, but as a fan of LSU I'm going to have no choice but to rationalize that 4+ losses each season is just fine and that 8 wins over bottom tier SEC teams like Moo U and Vandy along with some FCS cupcakes makes us a good team. That not only is 3rd in the west division OK, but that it's something to be proud of. Our administration rewards our head coach for 8 win seasons so it should be good enough for me as a fan.

Without sweeping changes in our program, very soon we will be those fans flying halfway around the country in mid December to cheer on our 6-6 team in the whogivesadamn.com bowl. I hope our administration doesn't let us slide that far before doing what needs to be done.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What is Joe Alleva's track record when it comes to coaching hires, i am not familiar with his background? And i am not saying that Miles deserved to be fired or anything but down the road if the program declines, what is Alleva's history dictate in situations like that?

10. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

He came here from being Duke's AD. Maybe he'll have the hoops program on top of the world. Final 4 every year baby!