Saturday Night Surprise: WR Explosion..

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by kirbysmith4life, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kirbysmith4life

kirbysmith4life Founding Member

Most folks dont realize how talented we are at the WR position.

Boone and Wright saw playing time as true freshman for good reason. They just were never able to showcase their WR skills due to the struggles of our QB's and passing game overall. Trust me, no coach is gonna start a 18 year wideout solely because he likes the way they block.

Anyone with one good eye can watch film on Beckham and Landry and instantly notice that those guys are special athletes.

I've been a Rueben Randall fan since the day he stepped on campus. Dude has the sweetest feet in the country.

So, even with the loss of Shepard, we are totally stacked with explosive playmakers at the position.

Randall
    Boone
    Wright
    Landry
    Beckham
    Turner
    Fobbs

All 7 of these guys are a problem for any defense with the ball in thier hands.

Randall is a highlight reel waiting to happen. Fitzgerald size and ball skills, with the feet of a 5'10 180 pound speedster.

Boone is as smooth as butter running routes and catching the Deepball. Blazing speed and great hands. Will fight for the jump ball.

Wright may not be the quickest, but he fights for the ball harder than any WR on our roster. Fearless pass catcher. Doesn't worry about contact, his sole focus is catching the ball.

Landry has Chris Carter type hands. The guy makes the unbelievable catch look routine. I don't think I've ever seen one ball touch his Jersey. The dude catches everything with his hands. The ball literally sticks to the guys palms everytime.

Beckham has Percy Harvin type elusiveness and explosiveness but trumps Harvin because of Beckham's naturally soft hands. Fights for the ball despite lack of size. Reminds me Carolina Panthers wideout Steve Smith.

Turner: Former high school QB who has unquestionable elusiveness and agility. I have to see him play more WR before I can make any hard core observations of him.

Fobbs: Is a burner who strecthes the field. Fobbs is not an elite athlete with the ball in his hands, but definitley is dangerous enough that you dont want him in the open field without 2 peole around him. I'm surprised to see Turner listed ahead of Fobbs on the depth chart. Either Fobbs is struggling, or Turner is simply outplaying him.

P.S. Add Shepard to that mix, and the future looks bright. I swear we could average 50 pts a game with ease if we get top notch play form the QB position.

In my opinon, Russell gets unfairly criticized; I mean, the dude has never played WR before, and folks expect him to look like Jerry Rice out there. He has struggled catching the ball cleanly, but that is something that will come in time. The guy can catch the ball, but catching the ball, and playing the WR position at at a high level are two different ball games. No one questions what he can do with the ball in his hands.

With the suspension of Jefferson, the dreaded option run can be virtually scrapped form our playbook , I think our WRs will finally get a chance to showcase their skills. With a more pro-style passing and running attack. I am ready to shock the world.

I mean, what if we blow these guys out!

I'm so ready to make a statement I can barely think straight.

2. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Screen them to death!

3. tigerace

tigerace Founding Member

I agree and do not forget about Ware, Gore or Magee in the flats,screens or in wheel routes. You also left off Deangelo Peterson, who I think is going to be a big factor in this game. He is a mismatch for most LB's that will be covering him. We have had terrific WR the last 3-4 years, but poor QB play (only passing for 1400-2300 yds) is not enough to allow our WR to show what talents they are.

I am concerned that stats released after our last scrimmage showed Randle having a total of 36 yds on 5 receptions (or something along those lines). That tells me we are still in the "slip screen"" mode vs moving the ball down the field in space. Hopefully, with JL at the helm, we will try some longer downfield passing options.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We are deep at tight end, too.

5. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Would be nice to see 18 play drives that will suck the wind out of their defense even in a 75 degree dome. Oregon State was dying in the 4th quarter last year against TCU, inside, roof closed, A/C on. It is far worse outside this year.

6. kirbysmith4life

That point didn't go past me. I was just running out of typing space.

We are 4 deep at TE, with Peterson being the one with the most dangerous physical tools.

And we are a good 5 to 6 deep at running back. I have to say, that the LSU roster is absolutely bananas.

Man, these ducks may not know it, but I have a feeling that they have come barking up the wrong tree, and will soon find an angry Tiger, in place of the crying kitty. :tigereye:

Sat. at 7 cant get here quick enough.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

None of it matters if your quarterback can't get it to them. I hope he can, and I hope our guys reward him with minimal to no drops.

8. kirbysmith4life

Exactly!!

Lee is what he is.

In my opnion, you can't coach fear.

Lee doesn't want to be hit. He doesn't stand in the pocket long enough to let the play develop. Most peole mistake this and credit him for an ultra quick release.

Given time, Lee looks all world (think tony Romo). But if a defender flashes in front of him, he is going to duck and fold (or make a hurried through to avoid being hit).

Lee throws a pretty ball, and has a beautiful release. But if you are more worried about being hit, thaen you are worried about completing the pass, you will always fall short as a QB.

Lee sees a blitz, and he's throwing without thinking. Whether its a TE, safety, or LB sitting in the area, he's throwing the ball.

If Mettenberger gets his shot, Lee may never see the field again.

Mettenberger and Rivers are the true futrues of the LSU program.

Is it Saturday Yet? :geaux:

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yeah, right. Guys we have never seen are always going to be the next great quarterback.

10. kirbysmith4life

Give me QB who steps up into the pocket, and keeps his eyes downfield, and is willing to throw the ball into tight spaces with accuracy, then you can play QB for me 8 days a week.

Give me a QB who is willing to hold the ball an extra second, even though it means he's gonna be hit by the oncoming blitzer, and I'll take him 11 times out of 10.

These are qualities that truly cant be coached, and both qualities jump out at you when watching film of MettenBerger and Rivers.