Saving the Planet

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by tirk, May 17, 2011.

1. kluke

kluke Founding Member

LOL :rofl:

2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Save the planet
    Save a tree
    Off a Gump.

Just kidding Tusk.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Awesome site.

My wife was watching a show about this on TLC earlier tonight. This lady went in and had about $300 worth of groceries in her cart. By the time they factored in all of her coupons, she ended up paying .01. I'm not sure if it was somehow rigged for TV or not, but if this is true, that's amazing.

I'm not sure how much time she invested in searching for or obtaining these coupons or mapping out her shopping strategy, but whatever it was, it had to be worth it.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

To get that extreme you are usually buying crap for food. Like ramen noodles and kraft cheese wiz.

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

If you watch that extreme coupon show, they pay nothing for $500 worth of pain pills, detergent, and noodles. Sorry, not gonna live that way.

We have a chain up here in NC and SC, Harris Teeter. It is pretty upscale, but they change their specials on Wednesday. I get an email on Wed with the new specials.

You go to their web site, click what you want, it builds a shopping list, by isle, and off we go. We frequently will save 30-35% shopping this way and it is very very rare that we buy anything that is not on special. And there are a lot of specials. It sure saves time, walking the isles looking for the little yellow special cards. Plus, we are buying what we need, not 100 bottles of aspirin. Plus the shopping list is easy to follow.

Check your stores, they may offer the same service.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Good ground chuck doesn't need any help.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'd pay double before using a coupon. It's a man thing. You might as well whip out the checkbook and fill in the register as long as you're making everybody wait on you.

8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

+1

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i HATE that.

i seem to have the luck of always getting behind someone who waits until they get the total, then they start rummaging around in their purse for their checkbook. then the pen. then slowly fill out the check. then examine it closely to make sure it is filled out right. then verrrrrry carefully rip it out of the check book.

by that time i want to shoot em. and my stuff is generally out of the cart and on the conveyor belt.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Dude, when you start paying my groceries I'll stop using coupons and requesting price adjustments. That would be almost like what you sre saying, as you would end up paying roughly double.

When you said you don't know how a family of four makes it on less than 100 grand... well, part of the answer is coupons. The savings we get from coupons is equal to a part time job. The savings we have from coupons and my wife staying at home and therefore not sending our kids to daycare is equal to a full time job.