Say what you want but Les Miles is a good coach, man and recruiter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Jan 7, 2013.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

But make no mistake, he is nowhere near the coach as Nick Saban. .

Who would you want as your father? Les Miles
    Who would you want to council your kids? Les Miles
    Who would you want as a brother? Les Miles

Who would you want as your college coach? Nick Saban.

This isn't about being a good guy. Nick Saban is a an arrogant little dictator. I'm not a fan but there is no denying that he is the best coach in college football.

Les is a terrific recruiter but Saban is better. Les is good at coaching but Saban coaches them to another level. Les is tolerant of ineffectiveness. Saban is intolerant of anything but perfection.

2. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Agreed. And I think LSU can win another title with Les at the helm.

gyver, KyleK and StaceyO like this.
  3. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

I agree, but if Saban is involved in a "lesser" bowl game, then the effort is just not the same. Witness the Cap One Bowl against Iowa and the Sugar Bowl against Utah as exhibits A and B. But I am a Nick Saban fan. I only fault him for saying he wasn't leaving when he was. Did the same thing in Miami when he left for Bama. He just didn't handle those situations well. I don't blame him for trying his hand at the NFL. It was our misfortune, but I don't think the guy intentionally disrespected or tried to hurt LSU. Bama sure the hell is lucky to have him. They have to be glad he failed as an NFL coach.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Miles is a good coach, but not great. He is great in other areas, such as recruiting, and sometimes it transfers to the football field and sometimes it doesn't.

5. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

I have my doubts as to LSU's ability to when another title with our dear leader at the helm. While another title is indeed a possibility, it's not likely unless the correct steps are taken. With the right changes in the coaching staff as well as Les allowing the offensive coordinator to actually coordinate, the upcoming team can achieve a great deal. The question is, do your or I have faith in Les Miles to make the necessary changes? I'll not answer for you. But, I do not at all see Les making the all-important corrections.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

We shall see, with the underclassmen loss, if we pull out 10 wins next season I'd say Miles is indeed a great coach.

gyver likes this.
  7. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

I agree with all of this but, at the same time i wonder, why are so many leaving lsu this year? some of them sure to be drafted at the end or not drafted at all. something just doesn't feel right. is it player development and frustration issues?

8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Wow. So our mantra isn't even next year now.

But I'm sure if Miles would have gotten us to the NC we would have won in the same fashion... if only we would have gotten there.

9. LaSalleAve

I believe they are all locks to be drafted. Mingo first rounder, Reid and Minter first rounder, Montgomery late first early 2nd rounder, Bennie Logan late first or 2nd rounder, Tharold Simon 3rd or 4th rounder, Spencer Ware 4th or 5th rounder, Michael Ford 6th rounder.

10. LaSalleAve

We are returning 4 starters on D. Jalen Mills, Lamin Barrow, Kwon Alexander, and Craig Loston. Maybe you can count Tahj Jones as he would have been a starter had he not been suspended for grades.

Our offense is going to have to pick up our D next season at least some of the time and they haven't proven they can.