Say what you want but Les Miles is a good coach, man and recruiter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Jan 7, 2013.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Are you f-in kidding me? LSU fans probably don't want to start putting caveats next to NCs. Miles has slob nobbers for his 1 caveat riddled NC, almost everyone in BR would be drinking the kool-aid with 3 in the last few years and going on two back to back.

For those of you who don't care about performance and only look at Ws and Ls, we're behind Bama in the most important W/L column. That can't be argued. With a poorly performing offense going on... how long has Miles been here? Relative to Bama, Miles is a step behind. The excrutiating thing of it is those of us who do care about performance feel like we aren't capitalizing on a ton of potential, and if we did the story would be very different. Its like Miles just wont get out of his own way. Despite winning record numbers of games.

Are y'all seriously cool being the also-ran?

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't think anyone is denying the fact that the planets had to align for our 2 national titles last decade.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

No, I'm not. All of that shit actually happened. Care to dispute any of it?

Oh, but I just did. Sure, we were fortunate in 2007, but only 1 team didn't have 2 losses, and we clobbered them.

The indisputable fact is that saban has had to continually have the cards fall in his favor to get where he is. Yes, he's a great coach and his players are always extremely focused. But in the realm of college football, he's literally mere centimeters away from being just another "really good" coach.

None of this is really relevant to the quoted post.

Attack Tiger likes this.
  4. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

^see above.

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Miles is mere centimeters (figuratively) from having a losing record as a head coach. Its hard to discuss with someone who has one metric for those he defends and a different metric for those he criticizes, and that is the only way one can say Saban (4-0 NCs since 2003, 2 in a row and looks to be in the discussion again next year) doesn't have quite a few steps on Miles (1-1 NCs since 2007, including head-to-head drubbing on the biggest stage last year to Saban). Apparently, it looks like Bama has the advantage next year as well.

Keep up this narrative - Miles is a football genius who doesn't get the breaks and Saban is just a lucky bastard. The rest of college football has just bought into the hype and you are one of the few who knows the truth. Maybe Miles will overcome all the adversity keeping him from fielding an offense next year.

Good argument.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is perhaps the most ridiculous statement I have ever read here. Miles has one of the best records in the business. He is MILES from ever having a losing record.

StaceyO and stevescookin like this.
  7. LaSalleAve

Objectively I don't think that's too far from the truth, alot of those wins could have gone the other way without some amazing individual effort from certain players. Tyrann being one, Jarvis Landry another, Kadron Boone another, Odell's punt return against Ole Miss, but on the other hand there are only 2 losses I can think of where LSU just got spanked, 2008 vs UF and 2012 in the national championship game, both of which LSU was in the game until late 3rd and 4th quarters.

One thing you can say about Miles, his teams always have a chance to win every time we take the field, and I'll take that any day of the week, even though sometimes it seems like we could lose to just about anyone. But again, best regular season non conference record, had the longest home winning streak in cfb for a bit. The man is a winning coach like him or not.

Attack Tiger likes this.
  8. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

How can you continue to claim that Miles is a "great recruiter" when he's failed to recruit and develop a quarterback since his arrival at LSU? As stated prior, Nick Saban recruited LSU's last effective quarterback. Les Miles has been given year after year. You need to emotionally detach from LSU football in order to recognize the validity of this key point. It's understandable that your love for LSU football is dimming yours and so many others' view of reality. But, it's an inexcusable fallacy to go on claiming that Les Miles is a "great recruiter".

Maybe that could be said if you're defining recruiting as just getting the guys enrolled and on the roster. Recruiting is more than though. How has Miles done in the development of his offensive recruits? Also, take out running backs, that's the only area of success. The running back corp would be even more productive if the offensive weren't so damn predictable. It's a testament to the pure skill of the running backs that they overcome even when everyone knows exactly where they're headed.

Continue on with the fantasy though.

9. LaSalleAve

You are delusional, you hate Les so much that it has made you retarded. How many players has Les recruited and put in the NFL? All you wanna do is slam the guy for mistakes and give ZERO credit for the great things he has accomplished here. It's getting sad to see someone so full of hate for an individual that it has turned that individual into a braindead nincompoop.

Attack Tiger likes this.
  10. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

False, I don't hate Les Miles. As previously stated, myself, along with others, deeply loathe the inferior offense that he fields.