Say what you want but Les Miles is a good coach, man and recruiter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Jan 7, 2013.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I also think Miles did a good job of coaching this year. We lost a ton from the '11 team (that very well may have been a once in a lifetime team--just missing the important championship), and we still were a mere 90 seconds away from the SECCG.

As for losing senior leadership? I didn't notice much leadership--that's a crucial piece that was missing from this team.

cajdav1, Attack Tiger and TigerTap like this.
  2. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I was hoping Faulk would come back to assume that leadership role on the line. Hopefully someone will step up there, but IDK. It almost has to be Mett on the offensive side. Hope he's more mature and composed next year.

On defense, Loston came a long way this past year and chose to stay. He'll do an adequate job of keeping the back four in line, I think. Freak needs to step up his game AND his voice along the D-Line. A MLB to step up would be fantastic, as well.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I disagree, with the second part. There was leadership, Sam Montgomery was a leader, as was Eric Reid. Lavar Edwards and Chancey Afjdklajfdla however you spell it, i just hit keys, and Russell Shepard showed leadership in that they did whatever they were asked. They gave themselves up for the team, and that speaks in volumes in my opinion.

stevescookin likes this.
  4. StaceyO

Big Sam was definitely a leader, but other than him, they seemed lacking in the leadership that was more obviously on the team last year and the year before. '08 and '09 had a leadership drought in a similar way, in my opinion. TM's dismissal hurt in that department also.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Losing him did hurt, no doubt about it. He was our swagger, and one of the emotional leaders for sure. A guy who can completely suck the life out another team. What he did was force the opposition to be perfect. If you play perfectly you can beat him, MCCarron and his receivers were perfect in the championship game when they attacked him. You make a mistake around Mathieu and he makes you pay for it.

What's going to be interesting, is seeing where that leadership comes from this season with Montgomery and Reid gone. Loston has some mean blood in him, he could be an emotional leader, but who is THE guy, like I think Sam Montgomery was for this team?

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Shocker ;)

7. StaceyO

I aim to be consistent, Shane.

8. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

Which does not include Leonard Fournette or any other nationally ranked five star top tier talent!

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

You are such a little whiner, already whining about what you think might not be a great class next year because no one can dispute you with facts because it is too early. In doing so you are probably trying to draw attention away from the spectacular class we are currently putting together in 2012.

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Guess I missed signing day? Hes in the 2013 class?

No one has signed anywhere, long time till signing day, you should know this.

Got to love the 5* talent. :)

The 2011 All-American class, Mo Claiborne was the lowest ranked player on the board, the #58 Athlete. Mo was a 3* player, one without a position. LSU moved him to CB and the rest was history.

Once again LSU took the lowest rated position player from this last years class and coached him into an All-SEC player, Jalen Mills.

Looking back at the list of 5* players from the 2007 class, Athlons did a write-up on these players. So many never panned out. For too many the words, improper benefits, injury, transferred, not selected in the draft and many with legal troubles. Many never played a down with the school they signed with.

You never know, I think the staff does a better job than most with high school players, an many of the High School, College and Pro coaches I talk with say the same thing.