Scarbinsky Article says Brady can get overdue respect with win over Duke

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jeffinbama, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

good read........some positive comments from the article

"During his nine years at LSU, Brady has been one of the best coaches in one of the best conferences in the country. Among current SEC coaches, only Tubby Smith has won more regular-season conference titles than Brady's two and more division titles than Brady's three.
    Only Smith and Billy Donovan have lasted longer in the dog-eat-dog world of SEC basketball..."

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

NLMD says that if the Earth keeps spinning on its axis, the sun will come up tomorrow. :hihi:

Good article.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I suppose that there's another thread here that also touches this (the "Missouri interested in Brady" thread), but this article to me almost sets up the unnecessary and unfair question, must Brady beat Duke to get respect? Secondarily, if he does beat Duke, will the world change?

I to this day still don't understand why certain LSU "faithful" bash Brady so vehemently and still make arguments about how "mediocre" Brady is, but clearly this article lays out the facts. It's no wonder that underpaid, underrated (do fans realize that outside of Tubby Smith, and arguably Billy D, noone has done better than Brady in the SEC?) and certainly underappreciated John Brady has been advised by friends that he should look. It's a travesty, IMO, because it just speaks so poorly of the LSU community, or at least an ignorant minority of the LSU community. Not that folks don't have a right to an opinion to dislike Brady, but it's just sad that our coach wins the SEC, gets to the sweet 16 with a young team, and STILL fans are out there "well, let's see if he can beat Duke (the #1 OVERALL seed), and maybe then he can coach..." :mad:

Every year I look at the coaching carousel revolving and everyone just needs to do a sanity check. I guess you can't ignore the "grass is greener" phenomenon that some of our Brady bashers must have, but I really do fear that as a community we are showing a dark side to our fanbase, and offended a coach that other schools now see is a real good coach. We must realize that in order to become a truly elite basketball school, we have to get better in this regard, regardless of who our coach is or will be...

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BEAT DUKE!!!

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I haven't been hot on Brady, but I've not been calling for his head exactly, either. After this season I think he deserves a raise and extension. Before the NCAAs it would have been a tough call for me, but I probably would have given him an upgrade anyway considering the talent he's been able to lure to/keep in Baton Rouge.

6. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Just exactly what are you implying? Heretical statements like that will severely diminish your credibility.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You are spot on with the entire post. For the life of me, I cannot understand what these people expect(ed) out of Brady. It's not restricted to basketball, either. This dark side is evident in attitudes towards Smoke and Miles. I think it's simply immaturity. There are a lot of younger fans who grew up with no understanding of LSU's history. They are not lifelong fans. They are students. If they went to Ole Miss, they'd be Ole Miss fans right now. I don't know. It's very frustrating to see and hear.

8. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

This is not all about Brady... it is about the LSU basketball program of which he happens to be be the coach at this point in time and is building pretty well. It is purely about LSU. What does LSU want in its basketball program? We are behind in facilities, marketing and creating a substantial fan base. That is LSU's challenge not Brady's. How many programs these days consistantly get to the final 4? Not many. The article that I posted shows he is in the upper elite of SEC coaches based on facts.

Basketball coaches are saddled each year with the possibility of having to lose players to the NBA. Mid majors are feasting at today's Sweet 16 table with a squad full of juniors and seniors that have played together as a team for many years. Do you think we would be pretty good had Brandon Bass stuck around for his 4 years? How bout if Stro would have stayed 4 years? Think Pokey would be a number 1 seed if Augustus had turned pro after her 2nd year? Let's face it folks.. this is all about LSU and what it is going to do to give the basketball program all the tools and money it needs to be successful. That is what LSU should be focused on.

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

This is a timely article and a timely post. Thanks for bringing it up.

No rational and objective person could be negative about Coach John Brady right now, no matter what happens tonight against Duke.

Given the facts and stats mentioned in the article, it seems quite clear that Coach John Brady deserves a raise and a contract extention now.

If there was ever any truth to the opinions of those who questioned his ability to coach, then, Coach Brady must have taken a Coaching Improvement Course during the off-season, because he's done a fine job.