News School Board might OK teaching creationism

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think he was insinuating that your daughter would be a little screwed-up if they forced creationism on her in school (true), and that home-schooling her would produce an even worse result (also true).

2. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

With this policy they face automatic court rejection. Do these people not read the newspapers?

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Apologies then to Gumbo if that is the case.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

this has been going on in schools since 1925 and the christians still cant get it through their head what science means and how it is different than faith.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

On this, I actually agree with you. The choice of religion is of a personal nature. If you choose to have your children learn the foundations of religious faith, then send them to Sunday school. Church and state need to stay seperate. I guess since many of the principles that this country were founded on put faith in God, some still believe it is important for the state to be the messenger. It's ok to have "In God We Trust", on our monies, it isn't ok to force feed the belief in God to those who don't have the same core belief systems nor do they want them. Oh wait, I'm a Christian. Your stereotyping of all Christians is no better than the thought of schools teaching creationism.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Science is science and religion is religion. The Livingston Parish School Board needs to know the difference, clearly. Here in Plano, at the senior highs, they offer an elective on the Bible--something like "the Bible as literature." I wouldn't want to touch teaching that with a ten-foot pole, but whatever.

As for homeschooling, well, the socialization that must occur for a person to survive in the world just isn't there. It's true that kids need to get out there, experience lots of different types of people (why I like public education), and learn to make judgments on their own.

7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I agree 100%.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

sorry, no offense intended. this kinda stuff happens when i try to be funny.

really though i think damage from creationism would be less than damage from homeschooling. besides, the creationism thing wont stick without church pressure. she'll lump it together with stories about paul bunyan, odysseus and usc football.

9. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I hate to say it, but I agree. I was homeschooled and learned enough to know that when I have kids, they won't be homeschooled. If anything, I hope to be able to afford to put them in a good private school.

When it comes to the creationism thing, I think the whole point is raising your children to think for themselves. It's what I will do, and I'm sure I will spend a decent amount of time supplementing my children's education at home so whatever slant they may be receiving from a government/private institution doesn't go unchallenged.

LaSalleAve, I guess that would be my advice to you. While I may not have any kids yet, I was homeschooled. I turned out fine (I have friends, 2 jobs, am a successful student, will be graduating this fall), but it was a process and I'm still dealing with a couple things. It wasn't really until I got a job at a grocery store working with the public that it forced me out of my shell. I had to learn to talk to people and get to know them and ask them about things I didn't care about, and when I started going to college, it was a whole other step. I never really wrote essays or research projects, so it was a learning experience, and I turned out fine, but it just took longer to get there.

So, keep her in school, buy an age-appropriate book on evolution/humanism and teach it to her when she gets home or when she asks questions. Maybe have her read it. Teach her to become an independent thinker early on, and it'll mean so much more later.

Besides, from personal experience, 99.9% of homeschool curriculum is extremely evangelical. I learned that all of our founding fathers were evangelicals. Please.

1 person likes this.
  10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i still havent learned to do that. i consider it a virtue.