SCROTUM I mean SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

If all you had to do was work hard and sacrifice, there would be very few poor people in this country. Most of the American population works hard every day. For decades the American worker has been among the most productive in the world, if not the most productive. As a result, wages have stagnated over the last three decades. Where is the magical "be anything you want to be" Fairy for these people? I grew up dirt poor and I don't even know a single person you described when you accused people of sitting at home, avoiding work, eating Twinkies, etc. I can however rattle off dozens of people who work hard every day for meager pay, few opportunities for improvement, paycheck-to-paycheck, etc. I know that's anecdotal, but it just seems odd that I'm still waiting to meet that first "poor, lazy, unmotivated" person who seems to be at the root of the economic issues of America on whom so many people keep placing blame.

I do find it strange that the very same myth you perpetuate is perpetuated by my lower middle class, poor friends and acquaintances despite the fact that they don't know anyone like that either.

This is easily the most ridiculous, naive and uneducated phrase uttered by Americans. Less than 1% of the American population experiences this kind of success under those terms. The sentiment fuels the reason why poor people vote for politicians and a political ideal that not only doesn't benefit them, but runs counter to policies that would increase financial mobility.

LSUpride123 and red55 like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Working hard by itself won't do it. You have to also work smart. Despite all the bitching and moaning I think most people in this county are pretty satisfied with their quality of life. If you have a job, a roof over your head, food on the table, a vehicle, cable TV, family and friends you pretty much have the basics of life. If you want more there is no magical fairy. You have to do it yourself.
    Maybe only 1% are motivated to think outside the box and do whatever it takes to become wealthy.

gyver likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

For most of the robber barons it was easy to believe in "paying their fair share." Until 1916 there was no income tax. John D Rockerfeller was worth $336 Billion in dollars adjusted to 2007. If that's not accumulating cash I don't know what is.

4. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

So welfare is off the table. Why not give it to everyone. You can write your check and send it to me in NY... :')

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It should be because welfare given to people is a small fraction compared to what's given to corporations.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I agree with most you have said, but I have seen some lazy MOFO's. Both poor and Middle class. I would say it is equal across the landscape IMO. However, my version of lazy is different than described.

7. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Wages have stagnated with globalization and foreign trade deficit. Our wages and tax laws help put us at a competitive disadvantage with those countries (like China) who's govt. subsidizes their growth while maintaining low wages.

Agree, I tell my poor friends everyday that Obama is doing nothing for them.

gyver likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was talking about dumb ass rednecks in the south.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

If you are talking about Tanif in particular, close but still wrong. If you are talking about all social welfare programs not even close. corporate well fare programs are a fraction of a percentage of what we provide from Medicaid alone.

10. LaSalleAve

Everything I read is that around 93 billion is spent or corporate and 59 billion on social.