SCROTUM I mean SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 22, 2013.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So how can hobby lobby use religion as an excuse for not wanting to provide certain types of birth control but their 401k plans invest in companies that make them. It doesn't make sense, they are hypocritical bastards and I will never shop there again, not that matters because hobby lobby is a person who is above the law and their speech is cash.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

You are a constitutional lawyer? Dang.

How about ruling against Christians in business?
    "A Colorado baker who refused to make a cake for a gay couple has been given an ultimatum by a judge; serve gay weddings or face fines.

Administrative law judge Robert N. Spence found Friday that Jack Phillips of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Denver, Colo. violated the law when he turned away David Mullins, 29, and Charlie Craig, 33, from his shop last year.

In his written decision, Spence ordered that Phillips "cease and desist from discriminating" against gay couples, or face financial penalties, and cited Colorado state law that prohibits businesses from refusing service based on race, sex, marital status or sexual orientation.

"At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses," Spence wrote. "This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are."

Mullins and Craig married in Massachussets and had originally gone to Masterpiece in July 2012 because they wanted to a cake for their wedding reception in Colorado. When Phillips refused, the pair went to the American Civil Liberties Union, which filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Commission (CCRC) on their behalf.

According to the complaint, Phillips told the couple that the store policy was to deny service to customers who wished to order baked goods for a same-sex wedding, based on his religious beliefs.

Phillips told the men, "I'll make you birthday cakes, shower cakes, sell you cookies and brownies, I just don't make cakes for same-sex weddings."

So, why can't this couple go to another bakery? Just like a worker can work for Hobby Lobby.....or not.

Nothing to do with that organization. Ask OJ.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The decision is so narrowly applicable that the slope isn't that slippery.

To me the narrow definition is the big issue. No employer should be required to offer coverage of any kind. Compensation should be between the employer and the employee. If the employee doesn't like the package they can work somewhere else.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    uscvball likes this.
  4. LSUsupaFan

This is just stupid. Do you know how a mutual fund works?

shane0911 likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I agree that there is certainly the appearance of hypocrisy. Other things to consider. The most recent information available dates back to 2012 so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Hobby Lobby got it's shit together before filing this action. But if they didn't, there are challenges to options. "While it would be possible to create some kind of custom portfolio, I don’t know that that would be feasible in 401(k)-type account given the costs involved. It’s probably doable, but expensive,” says David Blanchett, the head of retirement research for Morningstar Investment Management.

Figuring out what companies are acceptable and which ones are not is also tricky. Most of the funds Hobby Lobby offers employees are “actively managed,” meaning someone is picking stocks and likely moving them in and out of the portfolio regularly."

I also don't understand why it is considered solely up to the business to have these options. Is a potential employee not able to research a company they are wanting to work for? If you don't agree with the company or it's ethics, then don't work there. Companies such as Hobby Lobby, typically make their profile available and it isn't hard to find out what the "politics" of the organization are. Walmart, In-n-Out, Cracker Barrel, Chick-Fil-A, Jet Blue, Forever 21, Marriott, Mary Kay, Curves....all religiously driven companies.

LaSalle, if you found out that your best supplier was an anti-abortion member of citizens united, would you still buy from him/her?

6. LSUsupaFan

Not only all of this, but almost every corporate treasury has some degree of holdings in an S&P index fund. So if you own any individual stock or mutual fund the companies you own almost certainly own companies that do things you oppose. It is an unavoidable reality of participating in the economy.

7. LaSalleAve

Hell yes i would but I have no morals or values

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They don't sell weed at Hobby Lobby

shane0911 likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

I think I just discovered that I am in fact a corporation that can be put to death and can't buy my way out of trouble.

10. LaSalleAve

I know that if you were truly anti abortion you would have zero dealings with anyone or anything that supports abortion. Do you know what hypocrisy is? At least I can admit I'm a hypocrite.