SCROTUM I mean SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 22, 2013.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Right. Come to America, where you are free to discriminate because you wanna be a jackass. Good value.

Authentic liberty lol.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I guess you are that naive.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I'm sorry LSU but does that mean you think the segregation of the 20th century was legal? I'm confused. It seems like you are using anti segregation laws to justify discrimination.
    It also seems you forget or ignore everyone must give up some personal freedom to have a society that works. If everyone did what they wanted and expected 100% freedom then there would be anarchy pure and simple.
    Laws and government are meant to be the organizers and lubricants of society. The US is special because we have usually found a way to blend the expansion of freedom with an orderly way to manage governance.

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Generally right Red. However it is that we have the potential to make those radical changes that animates the hopes of people to better themselves. On a macro scale most of us can't but we should always recognize and honor those why try and those who succeed.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Segregation of the 20th century was legal. It was the law of the land. It was horrible, and terrible that the government legislated discrimination. I am making the distinction between a government instituted discrimination law, Jim Crow, and a private person being an asshole. I have a big problem with a law that says a business cannot serve blacks and whites or gays or whatever. I have almost as big a problem with a government that does not allow a private enterprise to decide who they serve.

I have no problem with that. But we are on a course where we are giving up more and more of our freedom with little benefit. We are at a point where government is mandating what benefits a business must provide. What kind of shit is that. Today its healthcare. What is it tomorrow. You know who is the best judge of what I need in my compensation plan? Me.

But our freedom is not expanding any longer. It is being continually eroded.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The public realm may not be what you think it is. I have a golfing buddy who is black and married to a white chic. We were having a race discussion the other day and he flat out told me "Bruh, if I find out a brother is moving in next door and another one across the street, I'm fucking moving"

I thought that was really telling

Of course that is one guy and one instance but I would have to believe there are many more just like him.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

True, but I am most certainly sure there are less of those people than in 1960..

shane0911 likes this.
  8. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

The fact that you believe the real unemployment rate is only 6% basically ends any rational discussion since the number of welfare recipients is the highest in history and the labor participation rate is the lowest since the early '70s. In June 2014, the real unemployment rate (U-6) was 12.1%. You of course will come back with the "baby boomer" argument but as usual fail to take into account the natural growth of the population. Do you really believe that 47% of the country is ultra rich and have offshore tax havens? I don't take a standard deduction, I itemize since I pay plenty in taxes and also give as much as I can afford. I thought the left only believed that 1% don't pay their fair share. Oh, and I totally agree, change the tax code. Make it a flat tax and let everyone have skin in the game.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

When you bring up welfare your point is moot unless you are talking about corporate welfare and subsidies.

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

For one, those guys believed in paying their fair share. They understood that stockpiling all of the cash in their vaults would be bad for the economy, the country and eventually their businesses. Today's CEO's on a while have no such qualms or concerns and seek only to increase their company's profits and line their own pockets, even at the country's expense.

red55 likes this.