Season-opener Question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jul 17, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

What will you be looking for in this game to judge how you think the season will go?

What score will satisfy you?

What areas of the team are you going to be paying closest attention to?

2. clair

clair Rockets

the trenches...

If we can get 5-6 yards per rush, and protect the QB

and on defense, if we can take away their run

we WILL miss a lot of tackles, and we WILL drop a lot of balls, but that just comes with time.

We have to dominate the trenches, b/c that is our #1 problem area, and if we are getting pushed around by ULL, it could be a long season.

As far as a score, I think a 30+ pt victory would be fine

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Geez, so far all I've thought about game one is . . . its going to be awfully friggin' hot for tailgating! And it won't be any cooler for kickoff.

1. How quick will the offensive and defensive lines shape up with six new linemen.

2. LSU by 1 will satisfy me. LSU by 45 would delight me.

3. offensive line, defensive line, running back, linebacker, return game

4. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

OLine, is it. We should blow them off the ball every play. If we don't we still have a lot of work to do.

As for the score, history shows us that our first games are very sloppy, so who knows.

5. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

I promise you that you won't be satisfied if we beat UL-L by 1 point. Nobody would be.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

With this being ULL, I'm unsure of how well we'll be able to judge things. Certain aspects are going to be easier to judge than others.

I want to see who is in at running back and getting the handoffs, and how healthy Broussard & Vincent look. I also want to see what young guy(s) get in their first and how they look. We will be able to get a relatively good feel for our RB situation from this game.

I want holes opened for the RBs and our QB protected, but since ULL doesn't have a real strong Dline it will be tough to judge how good the line will be.

I look for our DLine & LBs to stop the run and get a couple sacks, although I expect some of the tackling will be a bit sloppy. ULL is supposed to have a pretty strong offense, so I think we can get a good feel for how well the young guys have stepped up.

Wide receivers will be tough to judge I think, because drops are going to be more likely in the first game with JaMarcus having been out all of Spring practice. I'll look for good route running & blocking, and will try to refrain judgement on drops.

QB - how are JaMarcus's reads, how accurate are his throws, does he lead the offense well? Also, we will hopefully get to see Flynn.

As for score, I think if we win by less than 14, we should be concerned.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

given that AU gets LSU early in the season, I'll be tuning in to this game to see what we'll be up against.

More specifically, I'll be watching three keys, 2 on offense and 1 on defense.

Offense - the OL and how well they execute their assignments. RB - how much "authority" will Brousaard demonstrate, especially when he gets to the 15-to-20-carry threshold.

Defensively, how much will Pellini need to rely on the safeties for cover-help on the outside.

8. red55

Speak for yourself, hoss. I'm always satisfied with an LSU win. I'm always unsatisfied with an LSU loss. I also said I'd be delighted if we won by 40. You do understand the difference between basic satisfaction and delight, eh? :wink:

9. red55

You underestimate our corners, amigo. This is the best defensive backfield in the SEC.

10. clair

clair Rockets

the best defensive backfield in the country according to every college football magazine i've seen