Seattle Times insults LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Nov 28, 2003.

1. LSU

LSU Founding Member

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cfootball/150134_miller27.html

I hope some of you will email this biased PAC 10 clown.

Here are some facts you might want to use:

LSU scheduled Marshall. Marshall backed out at the last minute, and we scrambled to replaced Marshall with Western Illinois.

LSU scheduled 6-6 Troy State, but state legislature pressured us to play in state teams, so we picked up Louisiana Monroe instead.

So obviously, the intent of LSU was to schedule hard teams.

Your biased Seattle Times writer fails to see that if LSU wins out, LSU will have played a much tougher schedule than USC. IT WILL BE TOUGHER DESPITE THE FACT THAT WE PLAYED A DIV 2 TEAM AND A TEAM WHOSE RECORD IS 1-11! That's an amazing fact. That shows how weak USC's schedule has been! LSU is devasted by those two games, and yet, LSU will have a tougher schedule than USC! Wow. Imagine if LSU had scheduled just average teams in place of those (which we did schedule, but changes forced us out). It wouldn't even be close. A win against a team like Hawaii is just as easy against a team like Louisiana Monroe. Both are cupcakes. But Hawaii has a better record, so it helps you tremendously in your SoS.

P.S. Do some research next time. How can you claim to be a reputable source of information when you say VA Tech opted out of a game this year. It's next year! How can anyone trust what you say when you can't get this right, or recall LSU's originally scheduled opponents. Your writing is grossly biased, and you should not write for a paper like the Seattle Times unless the ST admits that it is grossly biased in favor of the Weak West 10.

1. BCS poll (only ranks top 25) -- LSU has played the #7,#11,#18 and will play the #24 Friday. SECCG will pit LSU against another top 10 BCS opponent. USC has played the #15, and no one else.

2. ESPN/Coaches Poll (only ranks top 43) -- LSU has played #5,#11,#19, and will play #29 Friday. SECCG will be against a top 10 team. USC has played #14, and no one else in top 43!

3. AP poll (ranks top 37) -- LSU has played #5,#11,#17, and will play #26 Friday. SECCG again will be against top 10 team. USC played #16, and no one else in their poll.

4. LSU's only loss to #11 Florida.

5. USC's only loss to unranked 7-6 Cal.

6. Despite playing W. Illinois, which does not count, and 1-11 ULM, LSU's SoS will still be much strong than USC's in two weeks! Throw out those two teams from LSU's SoS, and it's not even close!

2. CTIGER

CTIGER Founding Member

I sent the guy an email telling him to get his facts straight. I suggest everyone do the same.

These bogus articles should not go unnoticed.
    :geaux: :lsug:

3. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

here is what i wrote the guy:

Glad you did your research before you started posting you garbage about LSU being a coward.

1. We scheduled Arizona when in 1998 as a home and home series back when the Wildcats were 10-1 and #4 in the nation. I'm sorry we couldn't help them recruit so they wouldn't be a cream puff when we played them

2. We scheduled I-AA Western Illinois b/c Marshall backed out of our contract earlier this year to have a televised game with ESPN. I don't blame them for wanting the national coverage but it screwed LSU

3. We played UL-Monroe b/c Bowling Green backed out of their contract. A state legislature pressured LSU to play more in-state games so we picked up UL-Monroe. Unfortunately, we already had Louisiana Tech on our schedule for this year's 1 in-state game.

With the combination, of Bowling Green and Marshall alone, our schedule would be in the top 20 right now BEFORE today's game against Arkansas and the SECCG.

The fact is, it is not LSU's fault for having a weak OOC. Until you do more research, quit writing your garbage BCS articles.

4. eric d

eric d Founding Member

I emailed him too. What really sucks is that the same thing will happen next season because of Va Tech rescheduling.

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I wouldn't waste my time emailing, wait until we finish our season with 1 loss first. I don't expect sportswriters in the PAC-10 to give us any more respect than they give teams from other conferences . . . which is none. I don't expect newspapers in La, Miss, Ala, etc to write positive articles about USC. We just can't expect a sportswriter in Seattle to have the same passion and understanding of the Tigers, as he does the Trojans.

All LSU can do is take care of it's own stuff on the field. Sportswriters are not going to write wonderful articles about other teams in other conferences. It's in there best interest to build up their own teams and conference. Seattle is in Wash, which happens to have it's own over rated team Wash St. I'm sure this writer feels Wash St is better than most teams in the SEC. Nothing we email will change that.

I'm not saying this writer is right, or that he should have even published that article . . . I just don't expect PAC-10 beat writers to have much respect for LSU or the SEC. Honestly, we could use a writer like this in La to bash on USC a little bit. It seems the La writers are too concerned with giving USC fair coverage.

6. LSUxFAN

LSUxFAN Founding Member

here is a hint, instead of sending him emails, which prolly do not good but to educate him, write the paper itself and charge it with libel since he is not stating facts in his story. wanna see how fast you get a response with the word libel in your mail? heh

7. eric d

eric d Founding Member

Bowling Green was last season.
    Bowling Green Cancellation

8. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Isn't it funny that this guy is berating LSU for scheduling a Pac-10 team? Seems he is implicitly admitting the weakness of USC's conference.

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

A few points.

1) Marshall is the school that cancelled on us this year, not Bowling Green. They were replaced by Western Illinois.

2) WE cancelled the game against Troy State, and rescheduled it in 2004, after last year's negative experience at Virginia Tech. VT got a warm-up game in against Arkansas State, which made a big difference. When we found out that Arizona had done the same thing (scheduling a game with UTEP one week before their game with us), we decided to get a "tune-up" game scheduled. Troy State could not accomodate our request. So we bumped Troy State back to 2004 and moved ULM, originally scheduled for 2004, up to this season.

3) There was never, to my knowledge, any pressure brought to bear against LSU by the State Legislature to play in-state teams. It was purely Skip Bertman's call. And it was still the right call, in this Tiger fan's opinion. However, I think we maybe could have done without moving ULM up to this season. I think, had we kept Troy State on the schedule and Arizona's our opener, we still win that game. But we decided to play it safe.

4) I still think we're better than USC and, by the end of the year, both team's SOS will be about the same, regardless of our OOC schedule. The highs outdo the lows, in my opinion.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He's just a local yokel. A blind homer for the PAC-10. I don't give half a damn about him.

We will see major attention paid to LSU by the major media this week. So much for "under the radar:"