SEC Backfields

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Apr 15, 2004.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Watson is currently listed as a WR, so if he sees playing time it's likely to be returning punts and/or a few slot-R assigninments. He's a truly gifted athlete, but it will be very difficult for him to crack into the starting lineup as an RB in the next 2-3 years - it's just that deep. It's also the primary reason that JUCO Brandon Jacobs felt compelled to transfer to SIU. BJ had talent, there's no denying that, but he just wasn't going to see significant playing time other than a mop up role, so it's prolly the best decision for all involved.

Kenny Irons looked extremely sharp in the spring game and reminded me greatly of Brent Fullwood of years past. A "bursty" speed type of runner - trusts that the hole will be there and explodes into the secondary.

J. Watson can be a solid contributor at AU, and he may indeed see time at RB, but he'll need to show he has the goods first. Problem is that Brad Lester is in the same class, will likely redshirt, and will present significant competition in about two years. I've had the opportunity to watch BL play here at Parkview in Atlanta and he's going to be a stud - runs very much like Addai - same style.

JMO, but the three best RB's in the nation are Caddy, Bush, and Vincent, in that order. Out of the three, I actually believe that Vincent has the best chance at a Heisman bid. Caddy has a questionable O-line, Bush is overshadowed by Leinart (and would've been 3rd but BMW is NFL bound) , but Vincent could make a solid bid if he can approach 1100 yards. But remember how difficult 1100 yards is in the SEC - and 1200 yds, is prolly out of reach - never been done in the SEC........

2. BB

BB Founding Member

Hey Cadillac,

Did Auburn win their Spring Game?

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

NOPE :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D

4. diamondheadtiger

I think you run him off BB, he been on the board tonight kissin azz to cajdav :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :D :grin: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

5. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

The SEC is the best in football. They should have a SEC allstar game against the other leagues. Get rid of the blue and white game and scrap the senior bowl and all the other stupid games and get the real deal on. :wink:

6. cadillacattack

yeah, an "SEC versus the rest" would maybe be an interesting matchup.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Both Vincent and Cadillac are in a category by themselves and both should be first round picks and the featured back for whatever NFL teams that are lucky enough to get them. Cadillac is the better power runner but he is not the threat to break a long one on any play the way JV is. I'll take Addai over Ronnie Brown but not by a lot. I don't know much about Smith, Stewart and Irons but Broussard, Edwards and Carey could all be starters for most D1 teams.

LSU, unlike Auburn has an effective passing attack to take the pressure off of the running game. Cadillac will get his 1000 yards but a healthy Vincent starting from game one will go over 1500 yards for 2004.

8. cadillacattack

You should check your facts. It's actually just the opposite. Caddy is much more of a threat once he breaks into the secondary, but then that is really Auburn's current problem, isn't it? The O-line has been unable to give Caddy those opportunities during the time he has shown to be healthy. Check out the first play of the '03 Bama game if you need a visual. It's available at aunation.net ...... and as far as taking Addai over Ronnie Brown there's just no way. Brown and Addai are in fact similar, but I'll take RB's size and durability over Addai, especially in a league like the SEC with it's industrial strength defenses - and so will the NFL. Brown will be one of the first 5 RB's selected in next season's NFL draft, Addai won't even make the top 10.

Okay, put down the pipe and back away from the keyboard, you've lost way to many brain cells. No running back has EVER surpassed 1200 yards in an SEC season, including Herschel and Bo and you're predicting JV will exceed the current SEC regular season rushing record by more than 30% ???? If you're going to go out on that limb, at least wear a parachute....... safety first :grin:

I'm certainly not disputing JV's considerable (and well deserved) praises, but let's keep it real my SEC brutha' . Like I said, I believe JV is legit and could quite possibly be a Heisman candidate in '04 and (assuming he stays collegiate) a frontrunner by '05. I like his running style better than Brown's, but not better than Caddy's.

9. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

your absolutely right, Addai won't be one of the top 10 RB's taken next year. In fact, he won't even be drafted.

The reason for this is because Addai will only be a Junior next year and will not come out early. Addai has 2 more years to reach Brown's status, which shouldn't be hard since he is already there.

10. diamondheadtiger

Addai is a hard runner, 2nd & 3rd efforts on all carries. If he would'nt fumble so much, he'd be awesome. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)