SEC best conference in football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by barry6124, Sep 18, 2006.

1. barry6124

barry6124 Founding Member

Word:geauxtige

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5934174

In terms of talent, depth and the pure college football experience, let's all agree for the foreseeable future to stop the senseless debate over which is the best conference in America. It's the SEC, and it's not even that close. Classics between LSU and Auburn and Florida and Tennessee should have provided a friendly reminded last Saturday. One-third of the conference's members are ranked in the Top 10 and half are in the Top 25. The gap between the SEC and either the Big 12, Big Ten or Pac-10 is akin to the one that exists between The Godfather II and The Godfather III.

2. edyel

edyel edyel

plus...........Only a game between the Tigers of Auburn and LSU can generate 10 total points, yet still be a must-see game. If you ever get a visit from extra terrestrials looking to learn more about college football, whip out a tape of the recent history of this series.:thumb: This was a quote from Rich C. of CFN

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I always find this stuff most amusing...
    I have lived in the South many years, attended many SEC games, great conference, great rivalries, very good football teams with great fans...
    What I never have figured out is why SEC fans go to such great lengths to make their conference into this "dominant" mass... creating this invisible "gap", as you say, that clearly separates the SEC from everyone else.

Although one could come up with any time frame for comparison, I will use the schedule history from ESPN that goes back by year to 2002... so almost five years of data including games so far this year. Now, granted this is my math, which may be subject to error, but here's what the SEC history since 2002 shows:

Some facts:
    1) During the regular season, not counting bowls, the SEC historically plays the fewest games against other BCS league teams of ANY of the other BCS conferences, including the Big East.
    2) Since 2002 and including games this year against teams from other BCS leagues, the SEC has a "regular season" record of 27-34... and that includes Georgia with a perfect 6-0 record (beating Georgia Tech four times and Clemson twice).
    3) Against BCS teams and including Bowl games, the SEC is 40-47.
    4) In the past five years (to date) the SEC is 8-8 against the Big Ten; 7-7 against the Big 12; 6-6 against the Big East; 13-18 against the ACC; and 6-6 against the PAC-10 (including their wins this year); and 0-2 against Notre Dame.

So, I'm always missing the "gap" you guys talk about... shouldn't you have a winning record against one of the other BCS conferences over this period?
    We've had a year or two where the Big Ten has started the season with multiple teams in the top ten. It's kinda understood that it won't end up that way, as someone will get beat in conference play.
    So.... my point is... why is it always (for some, not all) so important to declare some level of "obvious" superiority, when the numbers would suggest something different?

.... just wondering...;)

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Hawker.........Since you gave 4 very good reasons why the SEC is not the strongest, I'll use your number in rebutal. 4 reasons I think the SEC (as a conference) is superior:

1/ Auburn weighing in @ #2

2/ Then, let's see, oh yeah we have Florida @ #5

3/ Don't forget Georgia @ #9 and quietly creeping,
    undetected by Big10, Big 12 and PAC 10 radars.

4/ Rounding out @ #10 LSU, with the # 1 overall defense in the Nation.

My math is not so good either but let's see.....4 SEC teams in the top 10 vs. one Big 12, one Pac 10 (Oh yeah, that conference only has one team), Two in the Big 10, and two from the Big Least not to mention that WV, by far, has the easiest schedule in all of college football (Even USC fans agree on that one).

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Trust me, I'm not arguing with where your teams are ranked right now. We've been there some years, rankings change.
    I'm only suggesting that this "superiority" thingy is an annual event.. at least from my experience.
    I think you have a great conference. I also think there are other conferences that play pretty good football, too...
    If there was a significant "gap", it would seem to me it would show up in in the records, as well as the polls.

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

1) Playing highly touted and highly ranked opponents is a regularity with the SEC schedule. No real need to look elsewhere.
    2) What is the record with Vandy, Miss St. & Ole Piss removed? Ya know, the bottom of the barrel that willingly goes out for a paycheck.
    3) See 2 for regular season games. What is the record for just bowl games?
    4) See 2.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Well, if you're 27-34 against other BCS leagues and ND, and your 40-47 including bowl games, my guess is you are .500 in bowl games since the 2002 season.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Hawker, just do us a favor and take care of OSU when they come to your place. Do you guys play Michigan this year?

9. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Hawker --
    I like to believe that the SEC is the best conference in football but I understand your point regarding record against other major conferences. I don't put a lot of stock into it. And obviously, there are no rules to determine which conference is the best.

To me, the key that sets the SEC apart is the number of very high quality teams. LSU, Auburn, Florida, TN, and Georgia. I'll take those five teams against the top five teams from any other conference in a meaningful game.

Your final question about why it is so important to us that the SEC is considered the best is probably a valid question. And I am really not sure. Maybe it has something to do with the cupcake schedule of a team like USC and the feeling that they have an unfair advantage. Personally, I feel like it is consistently tougher to get through the regular season in the SEC than any other conference. I realize you may feel differently. I don't watch a lot of Big Ten football but respect the quality of play.

10. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Yes, we play at Michigan later. The tOSU game is at Iowa on the 30th... a night game. I hope KF has worked out the kinks by then, cuz right now I'm a little worried.

... but I hope some of you tune in, the Hawk fans will be rockin'.