SEC best conference in football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by barry6124, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I mean, one does realize that the last time tOSU played in the Rose Bowl was 1997.... and the last time prior to that was 1985.

but, I guess Big Two, little 8 will be a southern homer cry for years to come.... guess I'll just have to live with it.

Damn Woody Hayes.... he's dead you know... just like the Bear. It's been a while, too.:grin:

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It's not where you've been that's important........ it's where you're going. Can anyone dispute that LSU is emerging as an elite program year in and year out?
    I don't know why so many fans (Especially USC) get hung up with the last decade or even the last year. This year is the only thing that counts to me. The past holds great memories but lends no credance to success of this year's teams..... look at Arkansas- I think they returned 15 starters. I was concerned about playing them at their stadium (still am but not nealy as much after what I've seen thus far).

If we want to use history as our measuring stick, I'll take Princeton with 24 National Championships. See how indicative history is?

Nuff said about this.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

From 1968 - 1982 the Big 10 Champ was either Michigan or OSU (sometimes both). Twice during that span, there was a co-champ (Michigan St '78 & Iowa '81). In the 23 years since that streak ended, 16 of those saw either Michigan or OSU as conf. champ or co-champ.

During the same time frame ('68-'82) SEC saw 6 champs (Georgia, Tennessee, BAMA, Kentucky, LSU, Auburn) in the 23 years, six schools go back and forth as champs or co-champs (BAMA-3, LSU-4, Auburn-5, Tennessee-5, Georgia2, Florida-6)

Compare that to the Big TEn over the last 23 years
    Michigan (11 champ/co-champ)
    Ohio St. (7 champ/co-champ)
    no one else has more than 4.

The proper nickname should be Big-1 , Medium -1, Small 9

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, we don't. The top-6 in the SEC have always been good. You just haven't been paying attention. Check the link:

Stassen.com

The Top-20 winning teams of all time: From the Big 10 there is Ohio State and Michigan and padded by your recent addition of Penn State.

SEC teams on that list are: Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, and Florida. The teams you rate as never having been good. :dis:

This ain't the place to come looking for Big-10 compliments, chief. Especially on your thread disrespecting the SEC, then calling us homers for disagreeing with you. Iowa is number 59, you made the top 60!

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

A quick glance over any NFL roster shows who produces the best talent. I went throught the nflpa.org site once and counted the numbers listed by school and the SEC was ahead of the ACC then the Big 12, Big 10, Big East and Pac-10.

The biggest gap between conferences was between the SEC and the ACC...

6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

This isn't my thread.
    The author talked about the "obvious gap" between the SEC and the rest of the leagues.
    I posted some information, facts actually, to suggest there wasn't a gap so obvious to all.
    ...That was my first post on this thread and I stand by it.

The tread has now turned into a discussion of teams since the beginning of time. If that's important to you, then so be it. I was thinking a little more current.
    Therefore, I stand by my first post and apologize for any other post I made that you considered disrespectful of your conference. That was not my intent.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No apologies needed, amigo. You have a right to be proud of your conference, too. And I should have said post, not thread. Mea culpa.

But I do think that overall records are valid in responding to comments like "I've seen Tn, Geo, Aub, Fl, Lsu, Bama mentioned often on this thread, as if they've always been good. We know better, don't we?"

Always is always.

And I've always been a little critical of arguments that cherry-pick a limited time-frame to make a point. A broader record seems better for making broad statements. Mostly though, I object to using interconference games as the sole measuring stick of a conference's toughness. The rugged conference schedule in the SEC is taken into account by many observers who have rated it high. It is very tough to go undefeated in the SEC, especially since the advent of the SEC Championship Game. Some extremely good teams in the SEC are going to end up with 2 or 3 losses this season, despite winning their interconference games.

And I do recognize that the Big-10 has several rising stars beyond Michigan and Ohio State. We've butted heads with a couple of them in recent years.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Just for clarification, when I mentioned those SEC teams and said "we know different, don't we", I wasn't referring to their life-long history as much as I was referring to the number of times they have all been good at the same time... if that makes sense.

But, anyway, it's always a pleasure to play Southern teams in bowls... gets the blood rushing, probably some Civil War thingy that only a misguided psychologist would care to explain.:wink:

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

In head-to-head match-ups, the SEC's top 6 teams (Bama, AU, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee) all have winning records vs. the Big Ten. If you lokk at the other side; Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, and Minn. have winning records vs the SEC. Meaning 2 of the Big Ten's winningest programs (Ohio St. Peenn St.) have losing records vs. the SEC.

10. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I'm tired of the tOSU hype.

Iowa had better beat tOSU on the field or that pink locker room needs to go.