SEC best conference in football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by barry6124, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Head to head conference records are very misleading. That's no way to gauge which conference is "better". When you have the Vandys, Miss St., and Kentuckys playing other conferences, they tend to drag us down. I will say this though, they did a study and found that most nfl football talent comes out of the southeast. The SEC has an advantage in the respect.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think a good way to do conference comparisons is to look at the 4, 5, and 6 teams in a conference.

For the sake of argument I will say the SEC 4, 5 and 6 are UGA, UT, and Bama. Now you name three middle of the pack teams from any other conference that will line up and beat those teams on a consistant basis.

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Obviously, it's hard to tell at this point if UGA, UT and Bama will be the 4, 5, & 6... we are in the same boat, but using you assumption, which is as good as any, I guess... that would put, perhaps, PSU, Wisconsin and either the Goophies or Michigan State, perhaps even Purdue, as the Big Ten's 4, 5, 6.
    Given the Goophies have beaten both Bama and Arkansas in "lesser bowls" recently, I don't see anything, at this point of the season, that would make any of those match-ups more than a two or three point betting spread... either way. The "lowly" bowl teams in the Big Ten fare pretty well in their games.
    Now, outside these two conferences, I would agree.

4. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Well Colorado almost embarrassed the SEC by beating UGA. UGA definitely overlooked this game it appears.

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Georgia played the game without their starting QB. You shoulda seen us against Syracuse without Tate, not pretty!
    Give Georgia credit for putting up 14 points when they needed to... That game may turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to them at this stage of the season.