SEC Championship site...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jul 1, 2004.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Just thought i would throw this hot topic out there for debate. Is it just me or is the site of the game always being at the Georgia Dome a bit unfair to SEC West teams. I think (and ive heard saban say it) that the game should be moved back and forth between Atlanta and New Olreans, east and west. New Orleans is close enough to the Mississippi and Alabama schools to represent them, and Atlanta is located well for tennessee down to gainsville. being in atlanta also really gives the bulldogs an unfair advantage with more than half the tickets presold to georgia residents.

2. HittinZX2

HittinZX2 Living to die laughing

I agree, I think that it should be moved around. It is unfair that should georgia make it, they pretty much have a home game. Although last year we proved that didn't mean a darn thing.:grin:

3. ramah

ramah Founding Member

:hihi: Not when LSU brings their track team in early December

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Home field advantage my ass.....

Ok, maybe so. :grin:

5. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

I think it should be rotated much like the Big 12 title game. They could play it at New Orleans and Atlanta as well as the Titans stadium in Nashville.

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

The problem with alternating sites is the Sugar Bowl. New Orleans gets an annual boost by hosting two BCS teams (with one almost always being an SEC team) each January.

Other states in the SEC region would probably see that as being excessive. Problem is, if not New Orleans, then where? There's no stadium in the West that can match the Georgia Dome.

I think it's in Atlanta for the forseeable future. New Orleans, in most years, will get the winner of that game in the Sugar Bowl.

7. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

And what's wrong with Starkville? :rofl: :rofl:

8. luckydog602

luckydog602 Founding Member

One of the best feelings I ever had was the 2001 "Sea of Orange" Championship Game....,
    What beats ending an SEC Foe's National Title run in front of about 50000 of their fans?? Although it did suck that Tennessee bought all of the tickets, and being in Atlanta probably game them an advantage, as long as the team keeps winning games against hostile "home" crowds, it's all fun to me.

9. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I seriously doubt that the SEC CG will be moved out of Atlanta anytime soon. Atlanta is much closer to the majority of SEC schools than is New Orleans. Only 2 schools would benefit (in terms of miles) from moving it to New Orleans ... LSU and Arkansas ... and it's only 75 miles closer for Arkansas.

10. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

I agree. Do a three site rotation as you suggest.