(SEC Coaches Favor Instant Replay) Athletic Directors Make Call in March

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Jan 12, 2005.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

From ESPN.com:

I think this would be a great step forward for the SEC. We are the most passionate, most football-intensive fans in the country, so it stands to reason that we get the very best on all levels of the game, including officiating.

2. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Richt must be talking about the Tennessee game.

Reggie Brown clearly dragged his foot in the end zone. But I don't think that it was a blown or missed call.

This will be more of a way to deal with cheating refs.

3. TigerGal71

TigerGal71 Freshman

I'm in total agreement with this....I think a lot of teams (including US) have been victim of really HORRID calls or non-calls. I'm not even going to start a list....:grin:

4. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Well it willnever be used for non calls but if it does happen what are the condition to have a play reviewed.

I personally don't like instant replay because it tends to slow the game down. Who decides what cameras are going to be used and who eats the cost for non televised games. Just seems like more crap.

5. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Instant replay is a good idea. The only things are that for Non-conference games the visitor has to agree to it and the other thing is technology.

The big ten was able to use the technology of ABC/ESPN for camera angles and so on, since every big ten home game was televised by ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN-plus.

If there are six sec games will every game have the technology from television between CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, and JP Sports.

6. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

big ten games averaged only between 3-5 minutes per game, so time isn't that big of a factor. 3 minutes is worth the righ call when you consider the milions from bcs.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Yea, the millions from the BCS, PLUS the expense of replacing broken furniture in homes and bars all across Tiger Nation! :thumb:

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

i used to think instant replay was not only a good idea, but a NECISSITY...

...however, i've come to realize that it has 2 adverse effects that i don't think are worth its implementation

1)it's a serious momentum killer. yes, in the big scheme of things, 3-5 minutes might not be very much. but when it comes in the middle of a 10-play, 80-yard drive, it can change the outcome of the game. just ask barry alvarez.

2)it takes the some of the onus of off the ref's. instead of knowing that they HAVE to make the right calls all of the time, they can now take their best guess at it, knowing that it can be reviewed if questionable. i realize that ref's and their performances are monitored very closely. but i think that replay instills a more lax mentality in them.

9. cottonijoe

cottonijoe Founding Member

Unfortunately, I think we have to go to instant replay. I cannot remember a season where so many blown calls were responsible for the outcome of the game. The Fla./Tn. game; our bowl game (I finally watched the instant replay and those two blocks in the back were quite obvious); even our own win against Alabama is tainted by a probable pass interference in the end zone. I say its time to take steps to neutralize the effect the many bad calls referees are making, and this is the first and best step. Second would be to hire full-time professional referees instead of weekend warriors.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

problem with your analysis is that it refers largely to penalties, or lack thereof. penalties are, unfortunately, NOT reviewable.