SEC Coaching Shuffle

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by HatcherTiger, Oct 17, 2007.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I was listening to the Steve Czaban show on FoxSportsRadio this morning on my way to work. He was invterviewing a guy named Scot Moore (?) who Czaban said really knows his stuff regarding college football, I believe he is affiliated with CSTV. In any event, More said that: (1) Fran is done at TAM which is no big surprise. Said that Tubby is #1 on TAM's list and that they are prepared to throw a ton of money @ him. He mentioned that it may be pay-back time for Tubby from when Auburn took a clandestine trip to Louisville to talk to Petrino. (2) Nutt will be cracked at the end of the season by Arky. No discussion about possible replacement; (3) Interestingly, he also said that Coach Yaw Yaw's time may be up @ Ole Missy. Not sure what to make of that or the logic behind it. Ole Miss is not setting the world on fire but they have made some progress. Zackly who would the Rebs think would come in and save them now ?; and (4) Lloyd Carr even if the season ends very positively may step down. Of course, Czaban chimed in about Miles. No discussion really about that the likelyhood that may come to pass.

Tom Osbourne has made it clear that no decision about a new head football coach will be made untilf after the season is done. Callahan has to be toast though. Thus the rumors will persist that Miles is going to Michigan and Pellini to Nebraska. Whatever happens, I hope it happens quickly to minimize the impact on recruiting.

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

i'm pretty confident that the "Tubs to A&M" rumors will cease as soon as Jimmy Sexton has completed his current round of contract-extension discussions with AU.

Meanwhile, Tubs-to- A&M is nothng more than wishful thinking among the Bammers

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

No, we want him to stay at Auburn. Saying Tubs to aTm is wishful thinking from Alabama fans is delusional. The aTm folks are the ones talking about it and it's spread across the country.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I tend to agree. Bammers aren't really terrified about a rival coach who has one SEC title in 12 years. I know LSU ain't.

Absolutely. It's an old Jimmy Sexton tactic to have rumors of other offers floated publicly to get an improved offer for his clients. This happened in each and every year that Nick was at LSU, except for year 1. It will start at Bama soon, too.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

It's more along the lines of him holding the fingers in the air, wearing t-shirts, etc. He's built the pine box he's living in and there is a large majority that want to see him buried in it.

I'm curious about the pre-game antics this weekend...

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Just a lil tidbit: Since 2004, Tommy Tubberville is 9-1 against top 10 teams.

1 person likes this.
  7. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

This question is for you ex football guys. How does a football coach answer this question from a recruit? "Will you be coaching here next year?"

Any coach at any program can leave at any time based on a better offer from the NFL or college football. I've always wondered how this is handled.

Anybody know?

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

From the little I know about college programs, I've come to learn that the relationship with the coach/recruit is huge. I'd make sure he (potential recruits) got to meet with their position coach as well and foster some type of relationship there. The chances of one of the two (In any given situation)being there are good.

Also, they pair them with a "Buddy"- that can be huge too- to gett them to feel comfortable. Above all, sell them on the program itself. As far as LSU, any fool can see we're talented and will be a strong team in the coming years and they can have a chance to play for a very successful program with some crazy azz fans who breathe football- (Which is a good thing) they can see that for the games they visit.

Parso and vball, could probably share more as they follow recruiting more closely. There are some others here who have a better understanding of the recruiting process too- Potted Plant, Philter, Atlanta Bengal come to mind- sure I'm leaving some out- that's just off the top of my head.

9. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

That all makes complete sense. I'm curious how the head coach answers the question about himself. Is it "I will be here"? Or, "no guarantees, this is the program that is committing to you?" Just curious how the head coach directly answers that question.

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Not saying Bammers are "scared"...but his record against Alabama indicates that anyone with common sense would be HAPPY to see him off their schedule...if they're a Bama fan.

I don't know why folks confuse the issues here. Obviously, he's a good coach. Crap, he even had good teams at :eek:lefire: ...and has been very successful at AU...'specially against Bama...and also Nick Saban. People let their emotions dictate too much. Yeah, he smoked a big fat cigar to mock us...right after his team BEAT us. Yeah, they hold up fingers to indicate how many consecutive wins they have against Bama...and they will have to use two hands after this year! The dude can coach.