SEC Conference FB schedules

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mancha, Apr 28, 2014.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I like the LSU/Gator game every year, most of those games are exciting with big time implications.

P&G_wheelz007 likes this.
  2. dudley

dudley oops!

I like playing Florida too. I also like playing other teams every now and then. Consider this. In 2012 Texas A&M beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Alabama played Missouri that year, and A&M played Florida in their second game of the season. Florida was pretty good in 2012 and came back late to beat A&M. Missouri was a wreck in 2012, actually playing with a first year walk on quarterback. If A&M had played Missouri instead of Florida would A&M have won? Almost certainly they would have and would have won the SEC West, not Alabama and possibly would have won the National Championship, not Alabama.

cajdav1 likes this.
  3. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

A&M did play Missouri in 2012, won and still wound up third in the SEC West. If you consider the lucky breaks A&M got in at least three games you could argue that they were closer to a Music City birth than a shot at any championship.

4. dudley

dudley oops!

Well, lo and behold they did play Missouri and won. Let's change Florida for Tennessee then, making them have the same cross division opponents as Alabama (Missouri and Tennessee). Would they have beaten Tennessee? Almost certainly. Even Missouri beat Tennessee. That would have made Texas A&M the SEC West champions, not Alabama. How's that?

5. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

You can play what if scenarios until you're blue in the face, it still won't change the fact that A&M were in reality a second tier team that way overachieved due to the play of Manziel. You must be one of those that was blinded by the flash of Johnny Football and confused A&M of being a championship caliber team.

6. dudley

dudley oops!

LOL! You can tell when someone doesn't have it when they start throwing out personal insults.

You can throw out your opinions about Manziel and Texas A&M till you're blue in the face but the reality is if A&M had played the same SEC schedule that Alabama did, A&M would likely have won the SEC West and not Alabama.

BTW the title of this thread is SEC FB Scheduling and my point was that as recently as 2012, SEC FB Scheduling impacted not only the SEC West, but the SEC Championship and the BCS National Championship. Texas A&M just happened to be the example. You're the one who seems to be confused.

7. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Dude, lighten up. That was in no way shape or form meant to be an insult and it is quit a stretch to perceive it as such.

Maybe so, stranger things have happened.

To say that by manipulating schedules, one could create an easier path to a championship for a given team, is pretty much common knowledge. I'm not arguing that. I guess, that I just have issue with your A&M example since you were mistaken about Mizzou and reverted to more what ifs in defense of your position. When you say what if, I still see A&M as a two or three loss team that season, even though it could have happened the way you said.

8. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I don't think A&M loses to Florida if they hadn't had their first game postponed due to a hurricane. UF had a tune up game and it was still close.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I don't hear UF whining about having to play LSU every year.

10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

It kinda ebbs and flows.

Its not about equality, rather parity. Right now you are looking at a 1:6 ratio when it could be 1:3.5. This goes way south if we go 16 teams, even with 3 extra div opp sched.